Help Transferring Laptop Data To Main Dbase

G

I thought I would post this in this newsgroup because so many people have been so kind as to provide me with their time and help in coding this dbase.I also posted it in tabeldesign and externaldata newsgroups but I never posted there befoire. I apoligize if I have overposted. Problem is this

I am looking for some advice on the best approach to import table data that was compiled using a laptop into the main database that resides on our server. The dbase was designed to conduct a chemical inventory and then barcode each container. The table “Chemicals†is a one to many relationship. You can have only one chemical, but it can be present in many locations. For example, Acetone may be present at 10 different facilities and we don’t want Acetone to appear in the database 10 times. So the chemical is stored in one table with no duplicates. The Chemical table has a unique IDPartNo assigned to each chemical name using an AutoNumber so we don’t have duplicate chemical names. The Location data table also has an AutoNumber field specific to each container at different locations. When location data is added through a form, the AutoNumber assigns a unique identifier for that container at that location. The field is also populated with the IDPartNo of the chemical name like this

Chemical Tabl
IDPartNo(AutoNumber) ChemNam

Location Tabl
IDPartNo(From Chemical Table) IDBarCodeData (AutoNumber) Location Dat

The dbase works great. Here is the problem. We will be using a laptop to go out in the field and actually conduct the inventory. At the end of each workday, the dbase will be transferred to the mainframe computer database. How do I transfer the laptop data into the mainframe database tables each day. Somehow I am afraid that the AutoNumber fields will screw me up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

G

You can use the Briefcase or Offline File
In Windows goto Help (Start > Help) to read more extensively about these
There is one problem in synchronising files involving Autonumber fields: Autonumber fields are changed from Increment to Random. Pre-existing values in the Autonumber field are maintained at existing values but subsequent numbers are Rando

----- MBoozer wrote: ----

I thought I would post this in this newsgroup because so many people have been so kind as to provide me with their time and help in coding this dbase.I also posted it in tabeldesign and externaldata newsgroups but I never posted there befoire. I apoligize if I have overposted. Problem is this

I am looking for some advice on the best approach to import table data that was compiled using a laptop into the main database that resides on our server. The dbase was designed to conduct a chemical inventory and then barcode each container. The table “Chemicals†is a one to many relationship. You can have only one chemical, but it can be present in many locations. For example, Acetone may be present at 10 different facilities and we don’t want Acetone to appear in the database 10 times. So the chemical is stored in one table with no duplicates. The Chemical table has a unique IDPartNo assigned to each chemical name using an AutoNumber so we don’t have duplicate chemical names. The Location data table also has an AutoNumber field specific to each container at different locations. When location data is added through a form, the AutoNumber assigns a unique identifier for that container at that location. The field is also populated with the IDPartNo of the chemical name like this

Chemical Tabl
IDPartNo(AutoNumber) ChemNam

Location Tabl
IDPartNo(From Chemical Table) IDBarCodeData (AutoNumber) Location Dat

The dbase works great. Here is the problem. We will be using a laptop to go out in the field and actually conduct the inventory. At the end of each workday, the dbase will be transferred to the mainframe computer database. How do I transfer the laptop data into the mainframe database tables each day. Somehow I am afraid that the AutoNumber fields will screw me up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

A

Albert D. Kallal

If you have a simple file of data to transfer, then usually you can use
append queries.

However, when the application starts to get complex, then you should
consider replication, as this will handle data updates for you. In fact, if
you add new chemicals to your chemical table, then next time you "sync", all
new chemicals will appear in the notebook (and, if the person in the field
added a new chemical...it will appear in the main table on your server).

The process that mangers this "back and forth" sync is called replication.
You should read up on this feature in the help, as it will solve your
problem. What is really neat is the process is "both ways".

So, grab a coffee...and start reading....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnacc2k/htm
l/dbrepjet.asp

and

http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0033.htm

You can also fake the whole process if you wish. Here is a way to sync
without using replication:

http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0015.htm

G

Thanks guys. Looks like its going to be a coffee day while I read up on replication and check out the references you provided me. Ahh, another day in the knowledge. Thanks a mil.

P

PC Datasheet

There are much simpler ways to do what you want to do! Replication is much too
complex and overkill. If you would like some help, contact me at the address
below.

--
PC Datasheet
Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications
(e-mail address removed)
www.pcdatasheet.com

MBoozer said:
Thanks guys. Looks like its going to be a coffee day while I read up on