Help, Please, with Direct Cable Connection...

G

I thought this was going to be simple... My new PC has XP-Home Edition and I wanted to transfer several years' worth of files to it from my old Windows 95 machine. I bought a serial null modem cable and have spent hours trying to configure both machines. The barrier I keep hitting is that the Guest (W-XP) continues to display an error message that the Host (W-95) is rejecting my userid and password when attempting to connect. On the few times that they have connected, I get a message that the Host has disconnected from the PPP session. Also, when I use "Network Neighborhood" on the old W-95 machine, it doesn't see any other computers on the network

Because of the different operating systems, I've been forced to try to use two separate setup routines. I believe I have all the protocols, etc., selected properly, but who knows? I can't even figure out where, in Windows 95, I'm supposed to enter a userid and password that will be the test for the W-XP guest to meet

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks
Dan

G

I m sorry I cannot help, however, I am trying to do the same thing with XP and 2000. I can get either machine to "connect" to the other, however, they cannot see each other as servers and I cannot access any shared devices. It is interesting though that I can see traffic going over the cable using the properties button on the connection icon in the system tray and the send/receive match perfectly. I have even turned off my firewalls - to no effect. I think the problem here is that there are very few people who are doing this today. I also have a W95 system that I was going to do this on if I could get it to work with 2000 and XP. Have you had any responses because there seem to be no books or anything else available. The only other thing is that I am using a serial cable and I don't know if this is the same as a null modem cable

----- Dan Corcoran wrote: ----

I thought this was going to be simple... My new PC has XP-Home Edition and I wanted to transfer several years' worth of files to it from my old Windows 95 machine. I bought a serial null modem cable and have spent hours trying to configure both machines. The barrier I keep hitting is that the Guest (W-XP) continues to display an error message that the Host (W-95) is rejecting my userid and password when attempting to connect. On the few times that they have connected, I get a message that the Host has disconnected from the PPP session. Also, when I use "Network Neighborhood" on the old W-95 machine, it doesn't see any other computers on the network

Because of the different operating systems, I've been forced to try to use two separate setup routines. I believe I have all the protocols, etc., selected properly, but who knows? I can't even figure out where, in Windows 95, I'm supposed to enter a userid and password that will be the test for the W-XP guest to meet

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks
Dan

J

jay diamond

Have you looked at this URL it is specific to W95 and XP
direct connect setup?

-----Original Message-----
I thought this was going to be simple... My new PC has
XP-Home Edition and I wanted to transfer several years'
worth of files to it from my old Windows 95 machine. I
bought a serial null modem cable and have spent hours
trying to configure both machines. The barrier I keep
hitting is that the Guest (W-XP) continues to display an
error message that the Host (W-95) is rejecting my userid
and password when attempting to connect. On the few
times that they have connected, I get a message that the
Host has disconnected from the PPP session. Also, when I
use "Network Neighborhood" on the old W-95 machine, it
doesn't see any other computers on the network.
Because of the different operating systems, I've been
forced to try to use two separate setup routines. I
believe I have all the protocols, etc., selected
properly, but who knows? I can't even figure out where,
in Windows 95, I'm supposed to enter a userid and
password that will be the test for the W-XP guest to meet.

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Dan said:
I thought this was going to be simple... My new PC has XP-Home Edition and I wanted to transfer several years' worth of files to it from my old Windows 95 machine. I bought a serial null modem cable and have spent hours trying to configure both machines. The barrier I keep hitting is that the Guest (W-XP) continues to display an error message that the Host (W-95) is rejecting my userid and password when attempting to connect. On the few times that they have connected, I get a message that the Host has disconnected from the PPP session. Also, when I use "Network Neighborhood" on the old W-95 machine, it doesn't see any other computers on the network.

Because of the different operating systems, I've been forced to try to use two separate setup routines. I believe I have all the protocols, etc., selected properly, but who knows? I can't even figure out where, in Windows 95, I'm supposed to enter a userid and password that will be the test for the W-XP guest to meet.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,
Dan

This web page should help:

DirectParallel® and Direct Cable Connection (DCC) Step-by-Step SETUP
http://www.lpt.com/Support/DCC-SetUp/dcc-setup.htm

If possible, I recommend using an Ethernet connection instead. It's
much easier to set up, and it can transfer data hundreds of times
faster than serial DCC.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

G

Not to take away for the posting individuals request for help, however I'm a new technician trying to test out a new XP Pro note book on my home system (XP Home) using DCC. Obviously the purpose is clear, however, in trying to set up the Guest portion from my notebook, I find that I am not given the radial option to make a direct connection?

After a lot of reading and checking to see if Sony made any Manufacturer changes to the system I should know about, I am stuck without an answer

If anyone would be so kind as to let me know if this is a Security setting that I can modify through the MMC for Security that comes defualt with XP Pro, or if this might be a Registry issue

Thanks

Ask a Question