help on how to purchase a license

lost

I'm in the process of building a computer. I want a legit copy of xp
pro. I've been checking ebay and quite afew offers from sellers with
good feedback 99.9 etc..they all seem to have the sealed package that
states oem and coa I'm not sure what that means. I understand if it is
a 'oem' I can't get help from microsoft but will I be able to download
all the updates etc..(legally) through the microsoft update center.

the other question is where I work they have a sealed copy of wp-pro
which came from a dell that is no longer in service I can have this
copy but where do I go to buy a license? it is unknown which one of
the dells it was on they have junked 2-3 years ago..they did keep the
product id sticker but not sure which disk they belong to.

thank you

db

the two copies are likely oem's.

and i am not sure if the newer dell oem's
will work on a regular pc. it might but
i think dell loads a lot of dell
device drivers and might be keyed
to the cpu serial number or something.
I think i read somewhere and sometime
ago that Dell oem's flooded the market
place and there was some controversy but
i don't know if there was a change.

if you buy a regular oem, the vendor will
send the cd to you and include somekind
of little piece of hardware to satisfy
the equipment requirements when selling
the oem to you. sometimes it is a cheap
little internal modem that is designed
for Microsoft. Therefore having this
piece of hardware satisfies the oem
license.

in my opinion you should
really buy a full retail version or
buy an upgrade if you have bought
windows in the past. I have
heard techno gossip that one can
cheat a little and borrow somebody
else's old windows setup disks and
keep them handy or actually install
it to the harddrive. That way the
winxp upgrade can proceed to install.

take a second evaluation of
what your needs are as you
may be better off in the long run
with a retail version of winxp home.

i really think you should not bother
with oem's. but this is an opinion
and others are likely to have differing ones...

- db
I'm in the process of building a computer. I want a legit copy of xp
pro. I've been checking ebay and quite afew offers from sellers with
good feedback 99.9 etc..they all seem to have the sealed package that
states oem and coa I'm not sure what that means. I understand if it is
a 'oem' I can't get help from microsoft but will I be able to download
all the updates etc..(legally) through the microsoft update center.

the other question is where I work they have a sealed copy of wp-pro
which came from a dell that is no longer in service I can have this
copy but where do I go to buy a license? it is unknown which one of
the dells it was on they have junked 2-3 years ago..they did keep the
product id sticker but not sure which disk they belong to.

thank you

Bruce Chambers

I'm in the process of building a computer. I want a legit copy of xp
pro. I've been checking ebay and quite afew offers from sellers with
good feedback 99.9 etc.

Getting a legitimate license of any kind from eBay is something of
a crap shoot. One should be very careful buying any software on eBay,
as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales are legitimate.
The problems stem from two completely different sources, but have the
same results: the buyer gets ripped off. A great many people don't fully
understand the terms of the license they own, and don't understand that
they cannot legitimately resell it, and - worse still - there are a
great many sellers who do know that they're selling bogus licenses. eBay
reacts only when someone files a complaint, and then all that really
happens, especially in the case of the many deliberate fraudsters, is
the seller of the pirated software returns using a different alias, to
continue selling illegitimate licenses.

.they all seem to have the sealed package that
states oem and coa I'm not sure what that means. I understand if it is
a 'oem' I can't get help from microsoft but will I be able to download
all the updates etc..(legally) through the microsoft update center.

There are some very important reasons that an OEM license costs so
much less than a retail license. OEM licenses are very limited:

1) OEM versions must be sold with a piece of non-peripheral
hardware (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC,
although Microsoft has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP)
and are _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed.
An OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another
computer under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people
avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even
stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC. The only
legitimate way to transfer the ownership of an OEM license is to
transfer ownership of the entire PC.

2) Microsoft provides no free support for OEM versions. If you
have any problems that require outside assistance, your only recourse is
to contact the manufacturer/builder of the PC or the vendor of the OEM
license. This would include such issues as lost a Product Key or
replacing damaged installation media. (Microsoft does make allowances
for those instances when you can prove that the OEM has gone out of
business.) This doesn't mean that you can't download patches and
service packs from Microsoft -- just no free telephone or email support
for problems with the OS.

3) An OEM CD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an earlier
OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an empty hard drive.
It can still be used to perform a repair installation (a.k.a. an
in-place upgrade) of an existing WinXP installation.

4) If the OEM CD was designed by a specific manufacturer, such as
eMachines, Sony, Dell, Gateway, etc., it will most likely only install
on the same brand of PC, as an additional anti-piracy feature. Further,
such CDs are severely customized to contain only the minimum of device
drivers, and a lot of extra nonsense, that the manufacturer feels
necessary for the specific model of PC for which the CD was designed. To
be honest, such CDs should _not_ be available on the open market; but,
if you're shopping someplace on-line like eBay, swap meets, or computer
fairs, there's often no telling what you're buying until it's too late.
The "generic" OEM CDs, such as are manufactured by Microsoft and sold
to small systems builders, don't have this particular problem, though,
and are pretty much the same as their retail counterparts, apart from
the licensing, support, and upgrading restrictions.

the other question is where I work they have a sealed copy of wp-pro
which came from a dell that is no longer in service I can have this
copy but where do I go to buy a license?

You don't. That license has already been sold/purchased. That Dell
OEM CD should work only on the Dell Computer with which it was
purchased. Dell BIOS-locks their installation CDs to prevent software
piracy.

it is unknown which one of
the dells it was on they have junked 2-3 years ago..they did keep the
product id sticker but not sure which disk they belong to.

I can't imagine know why they bothered to keep those CDs and Product
IDs, as to attempt to re-use them on any computers other than the
original Dells would open the company up to fines of up to $150,000.00
per copy for copyright infringement and software piracy. An OEM license
dies when the original computer upon which it is first installed, or
whith which it was purchased, dies.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Ken Blake

I'm in the process of building a computer. I want a legit copy of xp
pro. I've been checking ebay and quite afew offers from sellers with
good feedback 99.9 etc..they all seem to have the sealed package that
states oem and coa I'm not sure what that means.

"OEM" stand for "Original Equipment Manufacturer." An OEM is a company like
Dell or Gateway, or even you, if you build your own computer.

"COA" stands for "Certificate of Authenticity." It's what makes the copy
legal.

I understand if it is
a 'oem' I can't get help from microsoft

That's in my view, the *least* of the three disdavantges. See below.

but will I be able to download
all the updates etc..(legally) through the microsoft update center.

Yes.

The OEM version can only legally be sold with hardware, although these days,
any piece of hardware, even a power cord, qualifies. Although if you get a
complete generic OEM version, it contains the same software, it has the
following disadvantages as compared with the retail version:

1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's installed on.
It can never legally be moved to another computer, sold, or given away.

2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.

3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call them with
a problem, but instead have to get any needed support from your OEM; that
support may range anywhere between good and non-existent. Or you can get
support elsewhere, such as in these newsgroups.

That first disadvantage--that it can never legally be moved to another
computer--is the big one, as far as I'm concerned. It makes it not worth the
small saving over a Retail Upgrade version, which is what I recommend
instead. And note that, despite what many people think, an Upgrade version
*can* do a clean installation, as long as you have a previous qualifying
version's to insert as proof of ownership when prompted to do so. If you
don't have one, you can buy a ysed copy of Windows 98 very cheaply.

Personally, I would not buy WIndows XP on eBay. The risk is too great for
me, but you may feel differently.

the other question is where I work they have a sealed copy of wp-pro
which came from a dell that is no longer in service I can have this
copy but where do I go to buy a license?

You can't. As I explained above, an OEM copy is permanently tied to the
first computer it's installed on. Over and above the licensing issue, it may
be BIOS-locked to that original computer, and not even work another one.

Zilbandy

and i am not sure if the newer dell oem's
will work on a regular pc. it might but
i think dell loads a lot of dell
device drivers and might be keyed
to the cpu serial number or something.
I think i read somewhere and sometime
ago that Dell oem's flooded the market
place and there was some controversy but
i don't know if there was a change.

This is off topic, but I'm just wondering why your posts always seem
to have such a short line length? You must be doing something "non
standard" with your posting. :/

lost

the following caught my eye :

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:05:06 -0700, "Ken Blake"And note that, despite
what many people think, an Upgrade version can* do a clean
installation, as long as you have a previous qualifying
version's to insert as proof of ownership when prompted to do so. If you
don't have one, you can buy a ysed copy of Windows 98 very cheapl

I do have my own copy of windows 98 and windows me but I was told by
the computer tech at compusa that I must first install one of the
above then install the windows xp pro-upgrade and that anytime I want
to reformat the drive or such I would have to reinstall 98 / me before
I reinstall xp.??? are saying that if I purchase a upgrade of xp-pro I
can install it and it will only asked me to insert the 98/me disk to
continue the xp install?

[...]

be BIOS-locked to that original computer, and not even work another one.[/QUOTE]

Ken Blake

the following caught my eye :
And note that, despite
what many people think, an Upgrade version can* do a clean
installation, as long as you have a previous qualifying

I do have my own copy of windows 98 and windows me but I was told by
the computer tech at compusa that I must first install one of the
above then install the windows xp pro-upgrade and that anytime I want
to reformat the drive or such I would have to reinstall 98 / me before
I reinstall xp.??? are saying that if I purchase a upgrade of xp-pro I
can install it and it will only asked me to insert the 98/me disk to
continue the xp install?

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. The "computer tech" at CompUSA is
completely wrong.

Be very wary of getting any advice from people like this at the big chain
computer store.Very few of these people know what they are talking about.
Most of the people at computer stores (especially the big chain stores) are
usually hired because of their willingness to accept something close to
minimum wage, not because of their technical proficiency. If they knew
anything, they could almost certainly get a better job. There are some
exceptions, but computer store salesman are generally among the *poorest*
sources of computer information.

db

just wanted to clarify a bit
on what i mentioned previously.