Help on disabling windows system restore on Vista Home Premium

Charlie R

I need help on disabling windows system restore, I followed th
procedure that windows help provides but i can not uncheck the c driv
on: computer/(right click) properties/ system protection becaus
there is a message that says "configuration is disabled by grou
policy".

You should know that this is my home computer, is stand alone no
connected to any network or domain and I am running as administrator.

thanks.

Joan Archer

Why do you feel the need to disable it, it could prove valuable some day
then you'll be complaining that you don't have any Restore Points to go back
to.
If you feel it's taking up too much room just reduce the space given to it.

Charlie R

Joan, it´s just temporay as I got a virus which Norton 360 detected bu
in order to eliminate this virus, it tells me to execute a removal too
for this virus which I already downloaded, but before running this too
Norton recommends that I disable windows system recovery, and afte
eliminating the virus, I will enable it back.

Can you help me on how to disable it, considering what said in m
post?

Thank You

'Joan Archer[_3_ said:
;788052']Why do you feel the need to disable it, it could prove valuabl
some day
then you'll be complaining that you don't have any Restore Points to g
back
to.
If you feel it's taking up too much room just reduce the space given t
it.

--
Joan Archer
'Joan's Place | I love to cross-stitch

"Charlie R" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I need help on disabling windows system restore, I followed the
procedure that windows help provides but i can not uncheck the
drive
on: computer/(right click) properties/ system protection because
there is a message that says "configuration is disabled by group
policy".

You should know that this is my home computer, is stand alone not
connected to any network or domain and I am running a
administrator.

thanks..

Gordon

Charlie R said:
Joan, it´s just temporay as I got a virus which Norton 360 detected but
in order to eliminate this virus, it tells me to execute a removal tool
for this virus which I already downloaded, but before running this tool
Norton recommends that I disable windows system recovery, and after
eliminating the virus, I will enable it back.

Have you tried starting your computer in Safe Mode?

MowGreen [MVP]

The malware may have diabled your access to disable system restore so
that it can reinfect the system with infected restore points IF you
choose to use system restore.

Sorry, Symantec's advice is just plain wrong. What if the tool you've
download prevents the system from rebooting, then what ? You'll have
*no* restore points to use to regain control of the system.
It's better to have a leaky, rodent infested life boat than no life boat
at all.

Clean up the system first, then disable system restore as it will then
flush the infected restore points.
Once the system is clean, reenable system restore and manually create a
*clean* restore point.

When the system is clean you should be able to open Control Panel, open
the System icon. Click the System Protection tab, uncheck the box next
to the drive sys restore is monitoring, approve the UAC prompt, and
click Apply, OK. That will flush all restore points.
Then recheck the box doing the same steps and that will reenable sys
restore.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Charlie said:
Joan, it´s just temporay as I got a virus which Norton 360 detected but
in order to eliminate this virus, it tells me to execute a removal tool
for this virus which I already downloaded, but before running this tool
Norton recommends that I disable windows system recovery, and after
eliminating the virus, I will enable it back.

Can you help me on how to disable it, considering what said in my
post?

Thank You

'Joan Archer[_3_ said:
;788052']Why do you feel the need to disable it, it could prove valuable
[...]

Sorry I'm late coming back but I see you have received good advice from Mow,
and I agree leave System Restore alone until the system is clean, as he said
better a leaky boat than no boat at all.

Another thought, are you sure you have a virus and not just a false positive
message from Norton, have you tried any online virus program scans to make
sure ? I have no idea with regards anything Norton apart from the fact I
wouldn't put it on any of my machines.

--
Joan Archer