Help on building a PC!!

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm new to the forum however have a decent ammount of knowledge of building computers from scratch however, i was wondering if anyone out there can look at the parts posted below and see if they know anywhere else that does them cheaper or if there are any alternatives. I was hoping of spending at most £1100 and preferable £1000 but any comments of advice would be much areciated:
[font=&quot]Motherboard: [font=&quot]Asus Maximus Formula (from SCAN) - £157.79[/font][/font]

[font=&quot]Processor: [font=&quot]Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz S775 (from DABS) - [/font][font=&quot]£318.41[/font][font=&quot][/font][/font]

[font=&quot]Graphics Card: [font=&quot]BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC2 768MB[/font][font=&quot] (from OverClockers) - £327.81[/font][/font]

[font=&quot]CPU Cooler: [font=&quot]Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (from SCAN) - £12.80[/font][/font]

[font=&quot]Thermal paste: [font=&quot]MX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound (from SCAN) - £3.40[/font][/font]

[font=&quot]CD/DVD: Samsung 20x DVD WRITER WITH NERO (from DABS) - £23.95[/font]

[font=&quot]Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz (from OCs)-£76.36[/font]

[font=&quot]Storage:[font=&quot] 400 GB Seagate ST3400620AS Barracuda (from SCAN) - £56.27[/font][/font]

[font=&quot]Case: [font=&quot]SILVERSTONE MIDI TJ01 BLACK CASE (NO PSU) (from VadimComputers)-£59.93[/font][/font]

[font=&quot]PSU: 650W Xigmatek NRP-MC651 (from SCAN) - £70.49[/font]

[font=&quot]OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition (from DABS) - £105.60[/font]

[font=&quot]Total: £1213[/font]

Thanx,
Jules

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The post is now validated Dulus, so it should now appear :thumb: (if you are reading this, then it has ;))

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'd recomend a bigger case to give better cooling and ease of fiddling around .

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All them suppliers gonna cost you a lot of postage :)

Try and use just a couple, preferably just the one.

I wouldn't use Dabs for a CPU.

In fact, now that BT own Dabs, I wouldn't use 'em for anything.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Save yourself £150 and go for the Q6600 G0 CPU (Scan £150) - it runs cooler, uses less power and will overclock easily way past the Q6700 :thumb:

PSU - never heard of the Xigmatek - I would go for the Corsair HX620W ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, this lot comes to £1289 including delivery. All from Overclockers but it's just an example.

If you insist upon such highly specced motherboard/CPU/grafix card/OS I doubt you'll get much cheaper.

It's all very well shopping round between different suppliers for best prices but when you consider postage costs, it all kinda levels out.

Anyway, this is what I'd go for, just a suggestion :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• systembigarse.jpg
    systembigarse.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 254
Reaction score
thanx m8, do u recon OCs will be the best place for the highly specd stuff??

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh alright, we having a change of mind on the CPU now eh? :D

Well, I'll have to agree with Ady, 6600 all the way, I was just trying to stick with original specs.....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
How about this. :D

At £965 that leaves you £40 (if your sticking to your 1K budget) for a decent gaming mouse.

I've added all the best of the latest stuff and included an X-FI Xtreme Music for £50. Well worth the money imo, i have one and love it. :thumb:

IMO, you wont get better for the money.

I have no idea why the prices are all at £0, yet the total is correct. :confused:

Anyway you get the idea.

All from OcUK again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 165

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, gotta say V_R's spec is more what I would have recommended but as I pointed out, I kept the original motherboard/CPU/Windows Vista choices in the list I gave previously.

Just a personal thing maybe but I'm not keen on either Geil memory or Abit motherboards. And for the price difference between the Corsair 620W & 650W PSU's, I think the higher powered one is worth that little bit extra.

The Abit motherboards just ain't as reliable as Asus or DFI (in my experience) and the Corsair memory I listed, the C5, is the same price, more or less, as the Geil.

And Ady has a good point recommending a quality mouse if you're into gaming, have a look at the Logitech models G5 (£32) and the G9 (£55).

And the OCUK prices didn't show for me either (which is why I excluded them in my pic) so it must be a fault on their site.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm not that keen on the Abit board either - personally I would go for the Asus P5K Premium which just happens to be on offer at OCUK at the moment at £129.24 inc - has great cooling and overclocks with ease.

The Geil actually ain't that bad Flops - I have a couple of sets running on machines at the moment - however the Corsair being the same price is a good buy - I would go for the lower latency Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) though - its on offer this week at £36-41 inc, which is slightly cheaper than both the Geil and the Corsair C5.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Flops, A lot of they components will be personally preference to an extent , no worries.

I picked the Abit board as i've read that its one of, if not the best C2Q overclocking board out there at the mo, and is very reasonably priced. But tbh, any P35 board wil be very good. :)

The Geil RAM is low latency at 4-4-4-12, T2. Just needs to be manually set in BIOS.

Ask a Question