HELP -- Fonts not registering and WinXP display is unreadable

G

Fonts do not stay registered for some reason. I gets some unintelligable font display either in safe mode or normal mode. I have reinstalled the fonts many times now.

My workaround if I have to reboot for any reason is to do a search of *.fon *.tty fonts. Then I copy a few in so that I can find MS Sans Serif font so that I can see directory. I then am able to temporarially install all the fonts. The stay in the directory for a short while then they disappear from the Font folder. I still see the fonts till I reboot

The consequence is that I know have over 4,000 font copies in my font directory (some is attributable to repairing WinXP to keep operational. I can fix this manually even though it will take some time till I find some tools for this

I think the fix is some registry setting. Or worst case is to do another repair for 3 hours or so..

S

Sharon F

Fonts do not stay registered for some reason. I gets some unintelligable font display either in safe mode or normal mode. I have reinstalled the fonts many times now.

My workaround if I have to reboot for any reason is to do a search of *.fon *.tty fonts. Then I copy a few in so that I can find MS Sans Serif font so that I can see directory. I then am able to temporarially install all the fonts. The stay in the directory for a short while then they disappear from the Font folder. I still see the fonts till I reboot.

The consequence is that I know have over 4,000 font copies in my font directory (some is attributable to repairing WinXP to keep operational. I can fix this manually even though it will take some time till I find some tools for this.

I think the fix is some registry setting. Or worst case is to do another repair for 3 hours or so..

Tweak UI > Repair> Fonts Folder. TweakUI is one of the Power toys for XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Ask a Question