HELP: Client keeps losing ICS gateway internet connection

R

Richard White

I have two "identically" set up laptops (ie. WinXP professional + updates, IE 6 etc).

One is an ICS gateway, the other connected by LAN crossover cable the client.

After anything from a few minutes to a few hours of use, the client will suddenly cease to be able
to establish new internet connections (though existing connections, eg. yahoo chat session) will
remain working.

The usual first symptom, is that suddenly a web page request will result in dial-up pop-up window
appearing. If I let it dial using a back-up modem, the all is well. Otherwise, the page will not
be found (DNS Error).

The only work around I can find is to completely recreate the LAN network on both PC's - and reboot
them both.

Sometimes just enabling/disabling and then repairing the LAN config gives a brief respite. If the
gateway/client assignment of PC's is swapped over, then the problem still occurs on the new client.
Whichever PC is client has the problem!

This problem as arising since about 1st August, for months before that ICS was working smoothly.

Problem seems to have been triggered by some MS hotfixes, but I can't reverse/uninstall them, and I
can't find any other solution to this problem. I have already spent a lot of time investigating
possible solutions through further MS hotfixes, resetting TCP/IP stack and reinstalling TCP/IP on
both PCs.

I need internet access on both PCs for work!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

M

madmax

Richard said:
I have two "identically" set up laptops (ie. WinXP professional + updates, IE 6 etc).

One is an ICS gateway, the other connected by LAN crossover cable the client.

After anything from a few minutes to a few hours of use, the client will suddenly cease to be able
to establish new internet connections (though existing connections, eg. yahoo chat session) will
remain working.

The usual first symptom, is that suddenly a web page request will result in dial-up pop-up window
appearing. If I let it dial using a back-up modem, the all is well. Otherwise, the page will not
be found (DNS Error).

The only work around I can find is to completely recreate the LAN network on both PC's - and reboot
them both.

Sometimes just enabling/disabling and then repairing the LAN config gives a brief respite. If the
gateway/client assignment of PC's is swapped over, then the problem still occurs on the new client.
Whichever PC is client has the problem!

This problem as arising since about 1st August, for months before that ICS was working smoothly.

Problem seems to have been triggered by some MS hotfixes, but I can't reverse/uninstall them, and I
can't find any other solution to this problem. I have already spent a lot of time investigating
possible solutions through further MS hotfixes, resetting TCP/IP stack and reinstalling TCP/IP on
both PCs.

I need internet access on both PCs for work!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I think there is a 10 connection limit.
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

R

Richard White

[...snipped...]

What do you mean "10 connection limit" ????? I only have two pc's.

Why should this suddenly be significant *now* after months of working fine without a problem?

M

madmax

Richard said:
[...snipped...]

What do you mean "10 connection limit" ????? I only have two pc's.

Why should this suddenly be significant *now* after months of working fine without a problem?
Well sometimes I get a message that I have too many connections if
we have many apps. running at once
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314882
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

Ask a Question