Reaction score
Welcome to the "B.Y.O.C." ... easy init. :D

Be interesting to see what that 'thing' can do crunching. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Be interesting to see what that 'thing' can do crunching. :thumb:
Well at the moment it seems to be eating WU's at one every 5 hours for around 185 points - will be finishing its 3rd one in a couple of hours.
At that rate, should produce around 900 points a day:thumb:

phicksus said:
Good job Ady :D
Thanks Patty :) - back now after the New Year, will no doubt be chattin over at BBT later;)

:D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
very nice, how much CPU power is it needing to crank WU's out that quickly ?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
very nice, how much CPU power is it needing to crank WU's out that quickly ?
Its a dual core, so shows as 50% - but in reality it will probably be using 100%:thumb:

phicksus said:
Wow thats some cruncher Ady :eek: :thumb:
Hopefully! - need to keep ahead of the young upstarts chipping away at the top spot!:p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looks good ad's! :thumb:

Watch those points roll in! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well done Ady, nice machine you've built there :)

Interesting about the Silicon Image controller not being able to handle SATA II disks.

I was reading your questions about RAID in another thread but the other guys looked to be giving good advice so I hushed up ;)

Again, congrats on the build :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well done Ady, nice machine you've built there :)

Interesting about the Silicon Image controller not being able to handle SATA II disks.

I was reading your questions about RAID in another thread but the other guys looked to be giving good advice so I hushed up ;)

Again, congrats on the build :thumb:

Thanks Flops - I enjoyed it and hopefully it will give me good service - and the most encouraging thing is, if I can build one, then anyone can!:p

As regards the Silicon Image controller, regardless of using SATA II HD's all the various forum advice seems to be still go with the nvidia for better performance:thumb:

phicksus

Sweet and Innocent
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Hopefully! - need to keep ahead of the young upstarts chipping away at the top spot!:p

They have their work cut out for them now. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
young upstarts ... hehe ;-)

Adywebb said:
Its a dual core, so shows as 50% - but in reality it will probably be using 100%:thumb:
Yup ... 50% is correct ... don't be tempted to change it as you will actally slow it down.

:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Patty - You don't know Chris Postill - he will just slip it onto a few more other peoples machines whilst their not looking!:p

Reaction score
Hold up

If its a REAL dure core CPU, you can run 2 instances of it... as its only using one of the two cores... So ady could run it twice over to double the score?

But if you try and run 2 instances of it on a P4 pc that *THINKS* it has two cores, then that will slow it down... e.g. Hyperthreading

Am i correct?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
How much did it all cost?
£950 inc. - but to be honest I didn't really shop around, got it all from overclockers.
christopherpostill said:
Hold up

If its a REAL dure core CPU, you can run 2 instances of it... as its only using one of the two cores... So ady could run it twice over to double the score?

But if you try and run 2 instances of it on a P4 pc that *THINKS* it has two cores, then that will slow it down... e.g. Hyperthreading

Am i correct?
I've got no idea Chris - is the AMD64 X2 3800+ a true dual core? - I'll have a dig around, or maybe someone here can enlighten us?

One thing that would worry me is its going to be my full time working PC as well, so I will need the resources available.

muckshifter

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Hold up

Am i correct?
Nope!

Not with the UD software ... just leave it as is ... it is actually 'crunching' at 100% ... ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
£950 inc. - but to be honest I didn't really shop around, got it all from overclockers.

I've got no idea Chris - is the AMD64 X2 3800+ a true dual core? - I'll have a dig around, or maybe someone here can enlighten us?

One thing that would worry me is its going to be my full time working PC as well, so I will need the resources available.
Leave it as is ... and you will not be dissapointed.

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Will do Captain Crunchie!:thumb:

:D
Good ...

64-bit processors give you advantages in 3 areas:
1. Doing extrememely large or precise math (64 bit integers and floats)
2. Accessing very large amounts of memory.
3. Ability to move more data per clock cycle.

Of the 3, only #3 would give these projects an advantage.

These are just generic advantages. There are likely other speed advantages for specific chips.

Due to limitations of the UD platform they are not able to provide different executables optimized for different processors.

I too run a 64-bit processor (AMD 64 3200+), but unless you run a 64-bit operating system, you can't run a 64-bit program anyway. Good job I use Linux 64 bit. :p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mucks - safer to stick with what I've got I think!

Whilst your mentioning linux (again!:p ) - I'm thinking of binning windows on my old 950 Duron/512MB RAM machine which is only used for crunching, and giving it a go to speed it up a bit, and learn something about it.

As a total newbie, what would be the simplest distro for me - bearing in mind all the machine will be doing is crunching?

Ask a Question