Help again with AS400 connection

Brad Allison

Sorry to repeat myself if this is the same question I asked in the past, but
I have finally made a connection to our AS400 through ODBC. I tried to get
the connection using the data connection wizard and the OLE DB connection,
but I was getting a winsock error. Is there a better way for me to connect?
ODBC seems to be slow and cumbersome.

Thanks for the information and any tips on using .NET with AS400 would be
appreciated.

Thanks again.

Brad

Armin Zingler

Brad Allison said:
Sorry to repeat myself if this is the same question I asked in the
past, but I have finally made a connection to our AS400 through ODBC.
I tried to get the connection using the data connection wizard and
the OLE DB connection,
but I was getting a winsock error. Is there a better way for me to
connect? ODBC seems to be slow and cumbersome.

Thanks for the information and any tips on using .NET with AS400
would be appreciated.

Please ask in the database group instead. This group is about VB.Net related
questions.

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet

--
Armin

How to quote and why:
http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Brad,
Its best to be on Client Access V5R2 or later (with current all PTFs) to be
fully supported from .NET. (I understand that you can remain on an older
OS/400 such as V4R5, its the client that needs to be current).

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/oledb/index.html

http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4ap...6be4003c8957?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,ii13341

The above links are from June 3rd, not sure if there are more current
versions with better support...

If you look around the SQL Thing site (http://www.sqlthing.com) and the
above sites you should come across a number of samples and further
information.

As Armin suggested, the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet newsgroup
will provide "better" ADO.NET support.

Hope this helps
Jay

Cor Ligthert

Armin,

The one who answers AS400 questions very clear is in my opinion Jay B.
And there are more however in my opinion all from this newsgroup.

Cor

Armin Zingler

Cor Ligthert said:
Armin,

The one who answers AS400 questions very clear is in my opinion Jay
B. And there are more however in my opinion all from this
newsgroup.

This newgroups is about VB.Net language related questions.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Armin,

* "Armin Zingler said:
This newgroups is about VB.Net language related questions.

Full ACK. > 95 percent of the questions here are OT.

Cor Ligthert

Hi Herfried,

I counted the questions you did give an answer on, more than 5%, you are
not obliged to do that.

:)))))

Cor

(You know of course that I did not count them really)

Bill Fahey

Brad,

Another option would be to use a fully 100% managed ADO.NET provider
for DB2. This solution would not require any client software from IBM.
DataDirect's Connect for .NET has such a provider that can be
downloaded from their website. The jump page for Connect for .NET is:

http://www.datadirect.com/products/dotnet/index.ssp

The download is a fully functional trial version and should be much
faster than the ODBC solution you are currently using. As it is also
100% managed code, you'll also be able to take advantage of .NET
framework features such as security and automatic memory management.
The footprint for this provider is also much smaller than that of the
ODBC solution as you won't need to install the DB2 client software.

Hope this helps,

Bill Fahey
(bill dot fahey at datadirect dot com)

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "Cor Ligthert said:
I counted the questions you did give an answer on, more than 5%, you are
not obliged to do that.

I never said that I am not replying to OT threads or that I am replying
to all OT threads.
:)))))

Cor

(You know of course that I did not count them really)

:)

Brad Allison

Funny that I got more replies to this thread on the vb board than I have
from the ADO board, which is no replies yet. :)

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Brad,

* "Brad Allison said:
Funny that I got more replies to this thread on the vb board than I have
from the ADO board, which is no replies yet. :)

That's a consequence of all people posting to the wrong group. There
will never be more traffic in the ADO.NET group if no questions are
posted there, that's why I sometimes post a "redirection" to this
group. On the other hand, there are lots of threads in this group which
makes it hard to follow threads (at least with my newsreader).

Armin Zingler

Brad Allison said:
Funny that I got more replies to this thread on the vb board than I
have from the ADO board, which is no replies yet. :)

That happens when people ask and answer in the wrong group. :)

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Bill,
So have you tried it, how does it work?

Jay

"Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Brad,
Its best to be on Client Access V5R2 or later (with current all PTFs) to be
fully supported from .NET. (I understand that you can remain on an older
OS/400 such as V4R5, its the client that needs to be current).

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/oledb/index.html

http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4ap...6be4003c8957?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,ii13341

The above links are from June 3rd, not sure if there are more current
versions with better support...

If you look around the SQL Thing site (http://www.sqlthing.com) and the
above sites you should come across a number of samples and further
information.

As Armin suggested, the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet newsgroup
will provide "better" ADO.NET support.

Hope this helps
Jay

past,
but to
get

Bill Fahey

Jay,

Yes, I work for DataDirect. Basically the provider uses the DRDA
protocol to communicate with DB2. The provider (and all code necessary
to communicate with the database) is written in C#, and doesn't
P/Invoke out of the framework so it's all managed. This enables the
providers to communcicate directly with the database without having to
rely on database client libraries, like DB2 Connect. This does mean
that a DRDA listener is needed on the database, but that isn't an
issue unless you are using an older version of DB2 Personal Edition.
Not really relevant to this post though.

DataDirect has also been using this type of technology for JDBC and
ODBC for several years.

We've heard from customers that using the ODBC/OLEDB bridges in the
framework are inherently cumbersome and slow and we have also seen
this in our internal testing. From what I can tell by posts, others
are seeing this as well.

Let me know if you need more info, hope this helps.

Bill