Help: 40mb Instead of 80mb Data Rate/"Active negation" Problem?

Folkert Rienstra

Darren Harris said:
If someone who understands my questions sees this thread and responds,
then I will probably learn something.

Several did and it didn't happen then. You won't allow it.
You will find something, anything, at fault.
The guy who tested the drives is the one who told me that the
terminator must say "Active Negation" on it in order to be sure that
it is an "Active Negation" terminator, so that is the term I was
putting in my Ebay search.

Uhuh, so what exactly are we here for? Canon fodder?
Why are you asking us questions when you don't trust us and when push
comes to shove you go back to your "guy" that you don't trust either.
Now since all LVD cables don't necessarily have the correct (LVD)
termintor attached
(as per your words),

I never said that. Learn to read.

Darren Harris

Folkert Rienstra said:
Probably, as you seem incapable/unwilling of learning anything.

If someone who understands my questions sees this thread and responds,
then I will probably learn something.

The guy who tested the drives is the one who told me that the
terminator must say "Active Negation" on it in order to be sure that
it is an "Active Negation" terminator, so that is the term I was
putting in my Ebay search.

Now since all LVD cables don't necessarily have the correct (LVD)
termintor attached(as per your words), I didn't want to take a chance
on getting the wrong cables again.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Eric Gisin

Perhaps you should re-read the thread then. Nobody else confirmed this guys
statement about "active negation". In fact, I have never seen this label on a
LVD cable+terminator.

If someone sells you an LVD cable without the correct terminator, you return
it.

Bruce Morgen

If someone who understands my questions sees this thread and responds,
then I will probably learn something.

The guy who tested the drives is the one who told me that the
terminator must say "Active Negation" on it in order to be sure that
it is an "Active Negation" terminator, so that is the term I was
putting in my Ebay search.

Now since all LVD cables don't necessarily have the correct (LVD)
termintor attached(as per your words), I didn't want to take a chance
on getting the wrong cables again.
The words "active termination"
don't necessarily have to
appear on the terminator or in
an eBay auction description --
terms like "LVD" or "LVD/SE"
imply the proper kind of
termination for LVD operation,
so unless the seller is
tampering (e.g. plugging an SE
terminator into the far end
of what started life as an LVD
cable), then the cable will
allow LVD operation assuming
it's in working condition.

In my experience (which is a
tiny fraction of Folkert's,
Eric's, or Ron's), the most
common type of LVD cable is
pretty delicate and easily
damaged, much less durable
than the plain ribbon cables
used for SE drives. They
usually comprise multiple
twisted pairs held in place by
a transparent jacket that
tends dry out, become brittle,
and start to let go with age
and exposure to heat -- that's
why imo you're much better off
buying a new or NOS (new, old
stock) surplus item than
something that's already been
cooking in somebody's server
for a few years.

Darren Harris

The words "active termination"
don't necessarily have to
appear on the terminator or in
an eBay auction description --
terms like "LVD" or "LVD/SE"
imply the proper kind of
termination for LVD operation,
so unless the seller is
tampering (e.g. plugging an SE
terminator into the far end
of what started life as an LVD
cable), then the cable will
allow LVD operation assuming
it's in working condition.

Actually the phrase in question is "Active Negation", not "Active Termination".
In my experience (which is a
tiny fraction of Folkert's,
Eric's, or Ron's), the most
common type of LVD cable is
pretty delicate and easily
damaged, much less durable
than the plain ribbon cables
used for SE drives. They
usually comprise multiple
twisted pairs held in place by
a transparent jacket that
tends dry out, become brittle,
and start to let go with age
and exposure to heat -- that's
why imo you're much better off
buying a new or NOS (new, old
stock) surplus item than
something that's already been
cooking in somebody's server
for a few years.

The cables I bid on are new.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren Harris

Eric Gisin said:
Perhaps you should re-read the thread then. Nobody else confirmed this guys
statement about "active negation".

No need to re-read. That's right. No one addressed it at all, so I
assumed that he was correct.
In fact, I have never seen this label on a LVD cable+terminator.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ul160seacneg.html

If someone sells you an LVD cable without the correct terminator, you return
it.

I'd rather get it right the first time. Hence this thread.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren Harris

Okay. I guess it's going to be a crap-shoot.
Several did and it didn't happen then. You won't allow it.
You will find something, anything, at fault.

Back up that up with proof.
Uhuh, so what exactly are we here for? Canon fodder?
Why are you asking us questions when you don't trust us and when push
comes to shove you go back to your "guy" that you don't trust either.

Wrong again. I went back to no one. No one here said he was wrong, so
I assumed he was right, and continued looking for terminators that had
"Active Negation" imprinted on them.

Also, I mentioned that the part number(E124936) you gave brought up
posts that refuted the notion that that particular cable was LVD, you
didn't respond.

If someone had explained exactly how to be sure that a
cable/terminator is "Active Negation", all this would have been
unneeded.
I never said that. Learn to read.

I'm evidently a much better reader than you, since the following is a
statement from Adam(who you were arguing with) and your response:
terminator.

Or not. Not all cables come with terminators.

Now repeat that you never said that.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Folkert Rienstra

Darren Harris said:
Back up that up with proof.

It's there for anyone to see.
Wrong again.

Nope, you are.
I went back to no one.
No one here said he was wrong,

I did.
so I assumed he was right, and continued looking for terminators that had
"Active Negation" imprinted on them.

Also, I mentioned that the part number(E124936) you gave brought up

Oh wow, one.
that refuted

Nope: "Sounds like it is not an LVD cable. The "UW" may confirm that."

'Sounds like', 'may' '?' Very convincing, evidently better reader.

Because it was useless to do so. As I said:
"You will find something, anything, at fault".
I and Eric therefor plonked you on that subject as soon as
you displayed your immense cluelessness and stubborness.

The E124936 cable that I have is made by Foxconn for Compaq/HP and
is a 3ft 4-device equally-spaced white teflon cable with an Amphenol SCSI
LVD/SE terminator on it that specifically says Ultra2 P/N 497330001.

The E124936-B cable that I have is made by Foxconn for Compaq/HP
and is a 3 ft 4 device closely-spaced-at-the-end white teflon cable with
an Amphenol SCSI LVD/SE terminator on it that specifically says
Ultra2/Ultra 160/Ultra 3 P/N 497330001.

You really think that Foxconn and Amphenol, HP/Compaq et al
don't know their business and what an LVD cable is?
That when the E124936-C cable advert specifically says that it is
LVD that it can't possibly be that because Ron R. thinks different?
But that Ron Reaugh is spot on when he knows 'for sure'
"Sounds like it is not an LVD cable. The "UW" may confirm that?"

Btw,
It now appears that the E124936 number is part of the manufacturers
partnumber for the raw white teflon cable and has nothing to do with
a specific complete cable assembly other than that it is a part of it.
This same cable may be used for SE terminated cable assemblies as well as
LVD terminated cable assemblies as well as unterminated cable assemblies.

The Compaq partnumbers appear to be 269157-004 for the first one and
269157-008 for the second one of my cables.
If someone had explained exactly how to be sure that a cable/terminator
is "Active Negation", all this would have been unneeded.

I did, Bruce Morgen did, but as usual you ignored it or find fault with it.
You haven't got a clue but you always know better.
I'm evidently a much better reader than you,

Evidently not.
But I can see how your over-imaginative mind couldn't
resist being argumentative even when there isn't one.
since the following is a statement from Adam (who you were arguing with)
and your response:

Well, there you go then.
Now repeat that you never said that.

Don't need to as anyone with half a brain can see that that is not the same.
An LVD cable without a terminator obviously isn't the same as an LVD cable
with an incorrect (i.e. not LVD) terminator attached.

You really *are* braindead, aren't you, 'Evidently better reader'.

Folkert Rienstra

Darren Harris said:
No need to re-read.

Good choice. One might embarrass oneself if one did and anyone knows
that when one closes ones eyes it just goes away conveniently, eh Darren?
That's right.
Clueless.

No one addressed it at all, so I assumed that he was correct.

*I* addressed it, you arrogant prick:
"
Although an LVD terminator is of the sort "active negation" you need
a specific LVD or LVD/SE terminator.
Terminators that say "Active" on them are SE.
"

Uhuh, and where is the cable in that, evidently better reader?

This is just a trading company that sells an OEM LVD/SE terminator under
its own label, adding print-on specifications that should be selfevident just
to make it appear more appealing than any other LVD/SE terminator that
is the same to theirs. They all use the same or similar LVD/SE terminator
chips that are active negation and switch automatically for SE, LVD and HVD.

Darren Harris

Folkert Rienstra said:
Good choice. One might embarrass oneself if one did and anyone knows
that when one closes ones eyes it just goes away conveniently, eh Darren?

I guess you would know that.
Clueless.

Your middle name?
*I* addressed it, you arrogant prick: news:[email protected]

It's so easy for any little punk to exhibit balls by resorting to name
calling from thousands of miles away and behind a keyboard. You're
still wrong.
"
Although an LVD terminator is of the sort "active negation" you need
a specific LVD or LVD/SE terminator.
Terminators that say "Active" on them are SE.
"

Now how does that quote address the notion that the "terminator must
say "Active Negation" on it in order to be sure that it is an "Active
Negation" terminator?

These posts are archived, so your stupidity will be available for
everyone to see for a long, long time.
Uhuh, and where is the cable in that, evidently better reader?

Evidently the terminator would go on the end of a cable.(Duh). That is
a terminator that indicates "Active Negation". And that is all I was
pointing out.
This is just a trading company that sells an OEM LVD/SE terminator under
its own label, adding print-on specifications that should be selfevident just
to make it appear more appealing than any other LVD/SE terminator that
is the same to theirs. They all use the same or similar LVD/SE terminator
chips that are active negation and switch automatically for SE, LVD and HVD.

And what's your point? You are the one who conveyed that all LVD
terminators are "Active Negation", but that I'd still need a specific
LVD(Active Negation) terminator, but you never went further than that.
So I could only assume that you didn't know what specific LVD "Active
Negation" terminator I'd need.

That is why I said it is a crap-shoot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren Harris

Folkert Rienstra said:
It's there for anyone to see.

Again, back it up with proof.
Nope, you are.

You still can't prove it.

Where at?
Oh wow, one.
???

Nope: "Sounds like it is not an LVD cable. The "UW" may confirm that."

'Sounds like', 'may' '?' Very convincing, evidently better reader.

That made no sense either.
Because it was useless to do so. As I said:
"You will find something, anything, at fault".
I and Eric therefor plonked you on that subject as soon as
you displayed your immense cluelessness and stubborness.

I'm sure Eric can speak for himself. But why are you still responding?
[...]

Another in a series of lies that you cannot back up by referecnce to a
post.
Evidently not.
But I can see how your over-imaginative mind couldn't
resist being argumentative even when there isn't one.

You are the argumentative one. That in combination with your recall of
imaginary quotes makes you out to be a nut.
Well, there you go then.
???

Don't need to as anyone with half a brain can see that that is not the same.
An LVD cable without a terminator obviously isn't the same as an LVD cable
with an incorrect (i.e. not LVD) terminator attached.

You really *are* braindead, aren't you, 'Evidently better reader'.

You have a habit of posting responses to incomplete quotes that you
creatively snipped in an attempt to hide your errors and lies. As a
result, just about every single issue you've taken up with me in this
latest post made no sense at all.

You're still wrong. Now go harass someone else.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Eric Gisin

Darren Harris said:
"Folkert Rienstra" <[email protected]> wrote in message

It's so easy for any little punk to exhibit balls by resorting to name
calling from thousands of miles away and behind a keyboard. You're
still wrong.
This is pretty clear. You need a terminator that says LVD, like many of us
have said. "active negation" is insufficient.
Now how does that quote address the notion that the "terminator must
say "Active Negation" on it in order to be sure that it is an "Active
Negation" terminator?

These posts are archived, so your stupidity will be available for
everyone to see for a long, long time.
Rather, your moronic trolling will be recorded forever.

Darren Harris

Eric Gisin said:
This is pretty clear. You need a terminator that says LVD, like many of us
have said. "active negation" is insufficient.

I'm aware that I need an LVD terminator.(Not that anyone mentioned
whether or not "LVD" should be imprinted on the terminator). I dare
anyone to find one clear post in this thread that said that I should
*not* be looking for "Active Negation".
Rather, your moronic trolling will be recorded forever.

That statement just put you in the jackass category.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Top