HDTV calibration and viewing technique dissected by expert Joel Silver

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I ain't got the loot for a posh new tv but I know loads of you folk have em. Here is a very interesting article that is well worth reading through. I don't know anything about the CD that Amazon are selling but it may be worth reaserching.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/HDTV-calibration-questions,review-1339.html

"Tom's Guide: You have a $29 calibration DVD on Amazon, but I can also hire someone through the Geek Squad that’s been ISF-trained to calibrate my TV. What’s the difference? Joel Silver: Color balance, color optimization. You can’t do anything with grayscale or backlight control, which is a biggie for energy savings. You can’t do that by eye at all. And there’s nothing you can do in grayscale. The DVD is basically the Windows Media calibration wizard we did for Microsoft. And by the way, it’s still in MediaCenter, even though no one knows it’s there. For the meager amount they paid me for that six-month project, they’ve shipped 111 million copies. It’s unfortunate, because there are probably a bunch of things in Windows that I should use but I don’t since I don’t know they’re there, either. And the tutorial that we scripted for them never showed up in Windows because the voice information took too much data, so they edited it out."

happywave.gif