hd performance

HankG

kony said:
While the current 5K4 RPM drive "might" be slower in some
ways, it generally shouldn't make enough difference to
notice a slowdown for most (typical) uses.

There are several other potential reasons why this box seems
slower... less memory, apps loading on startup, spyware/viri
running, chipset drivers not loaded, apps spread over slower
part of a large partition, integrated video/sound/etc
especially without chipset drivers, and even the services
disabled will impact performance to extent of how much
memory is being juggled around, especially on boxes with
384-512MB or less (depending on tasks).

My computer certainly has enough horsepower. Everything (above) is
stand-alone; no on-board hardware. Question about your 'chipset' statement.
Isn't it a given that drivers are/would be present? Otherwise, how would
their functions be implemented?

With regard to spyware/viruses my machine is clean. I do a daily virus scan
(during breakfast). I've even learned how to scan my System Volume
Information which did contain 2 items. I would run AdAware every couple of
days and would occasionally find something. I also use Spybot but I think
it's dead. Haven't had an update since I can't remember when.

I have recently implemented the Hosts file as my popup blockers were
suddenly not all that effective. Since doing so, I have virtually no
popups. When I do get one, I add the url to the file. Initially, web
surfing seemed to slow down, but now it's almost as good as before Hosts.
It's worth the loss to eliminate those files.

I tried eDexter but my system (XP) won't load it. Anyone know of any apps
that will run on an XP system in compatibility mode?

HankG

kony

My computer certainly has enough horsepower. Everything (above) is
stand-alone; no on-board hardware. Question about your 'chipset' statement.
Isn't it a given that drivers are/would be present? Otherwise, how would
their functions be implemented?

Windows would use generic drivers, just as it does before
windows (or user) installs the specific driver. Some thing
won't work, but others like PATA and northbridge, will limp
along till driver is installed. Then again, some PATA works
as well with the generic driver, or at least not much worse.

Paul Murphy