HD data transfer

How do I transfer Hard Drive data from my old computer MS Windows ME.. to the
new CPU with Windows XP ? What cable do I need or any other equipment fro
data tranfer ????
Thanks

Jerry

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - part of XP. Accessories > System Tools

"Moving Data from Old CPU to a new CPU" <Moving Data from Old CPU to a new
news:[email protected]...

Ken Blake

In Moving Data from Old CPU to a new CPU <Moving Data from Old CPU
to a new (e-mail address removed)> typed:
How do I transfer Hard Drive data from my old computer MS
Windows
ME.. to the new CPU with Windows XP ? What cable do I need
or any
other equipment fro data tranfer ????

There are several choices. Here are a few ways:

1. E-mail the data from the old machine and read it on the new
one.

2. Network the two machines and transfer the data over the
network.

3. Remove the drive from the old computer and install it
temporarily (or even pemanently) in the new computer.

4. Use floppies and span the larger files over several diskettes
using a file splitting program (or any standard zip utility,
which can also do this).

5. Copy the files to CDs

6. Copy the files to a USB thumb drive.

Which of these is best for you depends on several things: how
much data you have to transfer, whether you plan to keep the old

computer, whether you are willing to spend a few dollars for a
thumb drive if you don't have one, etc.