Hard Drive Issues

G

I've been fighting this problem with several drive manufacturers, Western Digital and Samsung, but both are digitally signed by XP. Here's the problem either way I go at it
I have a Western Digital 60 HDD as my primary drive (master also with a CD ROM slave
I'm trying to add a second Western Digital 60 HDD as my backup (master also with a CD ROM slave

Windows XP recognizes the drive (as does the motherboard BIOS and Western Digital Lifeguard tools version 11.0) but when XP installs the drive, it says that it "cannot install the hardware", "an error occurred during the installation", "one of the drivers for this device is invalid"

Windows XP doesn't dislike it enough for me to manage it (change the drive letter, format with NTFS, copy files to it, etc.), but it continues to refind the drive each time I boot up

Device Manager shows the first drive has drivers: disk.sys (digitally signed), drvmcdb.sys (Veritas, not digitally signed) and Partmgr.sys (digitally signed). The second drive only has drvmcdb.sys and Partmgr.sys

I'm running XP with SP1 and all the latest patches. In desperation, I removed McAfee and Norton from my system

I even bought another drive, copied it and installed it as the primary (Samsung SP0802N, digitally signed and accepted by XP) but that made matters worse because it searches for both drives on every boot up

I've safely tucked away a clean WD60 HDD to protect my files, but I'd hate to have to re-install XP and all my programs if I don't have to

BTW, thanks to all of you for the GREAT support here! I've learned several new tricks from reading th responses to other people's dilemmas

G

For anyone interested, I resolved this issue! I heeded caution of resisting XP repair install of www.michaelstevenstech.com and went on a hunt for the unsigned driver being assigned to the hard drives, drvmcdb.sys from Veritas. Turns out it was for a program that I installed two years ago, Stomp RecordNow Max from the internet. I unistalled the program and the driver was unassigned from the hard drives! Of course, I've now created a restore point in case it ever re-appears from my own stupidity.
Special thanks to www.bootdisk.com for posting some valuable reading material before I did something I would have surely regretted!

----- Hank Jones wrote: -----

I've been fighting this problem with several drive manufacturers, Western Digital and Samsung, but both are digitally signed by XP. Here's the problem either way I go at it:
I have a Western Digital 60 HDD as my primary drive (master also with a CD ROM slave)
I'm trying to add a second Western Digital 60 HDD as my backup (master also with a CD ROM slave)

Windows XP recognizes the drive (as does the motherboard BIOS and Western Digital Lifeguard tools version 11.0) but when XP installs the drive, it says that it "cannot install the hardware", "an error occurred during the installation", "one of the drivers for this device is invalid".

Windows XP doesn't dislike it enough for me to manage it (change the drive letter, format with NTFS, copy files to it, etc.), but it continues to refind the drive each time I boot up.

Device Manager shows the first drive has drivers: disk.sys (digitally signed), drvmcdb.sys (Veritas, not digitally signed) and Partmgr.sys (digitally signed). The second drive only has drvmcdb.sys and Partmgr.sys.

I'm running XP with SP1 and all the latest patches. In desperation, I removed McAfee and Norton from my system.

I even bought another drive, copied it and installed it as the primary (Samsung SP0802N, digitally signed and accepted by XP) but that made matters worse because it searches for both drives on every boot up.

I've safely tucked away a clean WD60 HDD to protect my files, but I'd hate to have to re-install XP and all my programs if I don't have to.

BTW, thanks to all of you for the GREAT support here! I've learned several new tricks from reading th responses to other people's dilemmas.

Ask a Question