Hard Disk Recovery advice needed

TD

Would appreciate suggestions on best software/procedures for recovering
my hard drive. It is on a dell dimension 8250. It is suffering from
some issue which produces "NTLDR is missing" error when booting up. I
have exhausted all remedies to get the disk working, ie have tried
chkdsk /r, copied ntldr and ntdetect.com from my xp bootup drive.
Now I just would like to recover the data which was on it whether this
means using my wife's pc, hooking the disk up as a slave to hers and
using downloaded recovery software or taking it to a professional.
Thanks.

This site lists all the possible causes, there are several you have not tried
yet http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm
I would try running the fixboot and fixmbr commands from system recovery
first, that usually fixes the problem when I run accross it.
--
MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+.

Hash said:
Hello

Visit www.ultimatebootcd.com and see if you can send them an email for
solutions.

Regards
Hash

wrote in message
Would appreciate suggestions on best software/procedures for recovering
my hard drive. It is on a dell dimension 8250. It is suffering from
some issue which produces "NTLDR is missing" error when booting up. I
have exhausted all remedies to get the disk working, ie have tried
chkdsk /r, copied ntldr and ntdetect.com from my xp bootup drive.
Now I just would like to recover the data which was on it whether this
means using my wife's pc, hooking the disk up as a slave to hers and
using downloaded recovery software or taking it to a professional.
Thanks.

Ron Martell

Would appreciate suggestions on best software/procedures for recovering
my hard drive. It is on a dell dimension 8250. It is suffering from
some issue which produces "NTLDR is missing" error when booting up. I
have exhausted all remedies to get the disk working, ie have tried
chkdsk /r, copied ntldr and ntdetect.com from my xp bootup drive.
Now I just would like to recover the data which was on it whether this
means using my wife's pc, hooking the disk up as a slave to hers and
using downloaded recovery software or taking it to a professional.
Thanks.

What are you planning to do with the drive itself?

If you are going to replace the drive with a new one then the best way
is to use drive cloning software, which is usually available as a free
download from the hard drive manufacturer's web site (check with the
manufacturer's of both drives if they are different brands) and use
that.

If you want to try getting the data off using your wife's PC then the
best way is to temporarily install the drive using the secondary IDE
controller in her machine. This is the one that is normally used for
the CD and/or DVD drive(s). Unplug the data and power connector from
the drive(s) and use these to connect up to the drive from your
computer. That will avoid any need to reconfigure the master/slave
jumpers.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--