Hard disk errors - \windows\system32\config\system corrupt.. directory enumeration..

Reaction score
Here's where I am in this saga...

Went back to my XP Professional laptop (about 4.5 years old) today, and it seemed to have turned itself off. I tried rebooting, but things were taking forever... Eventually, I got the error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

Looked on the web for help. Found the solution about booting with the original CD and getting to the Recovery Console. I did this. (For what its worth, the machine was doing a lot of hard drive access in a rhythmic and very slow fashion; to even get the Recovery Console prompt to appear took about 5 minutes.)

When the Recovery prompt did appear, instead of the expected "C:\WINDOWS" it was instead "C:\". I was planning to do the solution were I copy all the files from c:\windows\repair to the proper direction... However, I tried to "cd" to "c:\windows" and I got the message:

The path of file specifed is not valid.

So, I tried a "dir" and got the following error...

An error occurred during directory enumeration.

Upon further searching (on the web) I tried the following: chkdsk /R Unfortuntately, I got this response.

O% completed
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

Obviously, it doesn't look good for the hard drive, but I have a few questions.

1. Is there any other thing to try here to get the machine to boot?
2. How should I try and save my data on the drive (the backups I have are unfortuately kind of old)?
3. What else can I do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ask a Question