Handheld GPS

Reaction score
Anyone here use a handheld GPS and link it to their PC to download maps? I'm looking to buy either a magellan or garmin but can't decide what's best. Any help would be appreciated.:thumb:
(Mucks, come on m8...u know everything!;))

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a USB one, but not a standalone handheld - that any good for opinions? (I guess not, but you never know ;))

Also, what would you be using it for - would it be mainly outdoors/walking/driving?

Reaction score
Yes, Ian...I do some hiking/wild camping occassionally, and as a gadget freak I thought a handheld GPS for the rucksack would be worthwhile. I've been looking at the Magellan range...either the Meridian colour or platinum, or the Explorist 600. I can't tell which is best, but the Explorist looks like the onr for PC connectivity.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm not too sure on specific standalone handhelds, but I may be able to confuse your choices a little more ;) Have you ever thought about a Pocket PC with build in GPS? It allows you some extra features which a standalone unit couldn't offer, and the price should be quite similar. It would also be handy for sticking in your car as well as walks.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm afraid I'm not too sure on specific standalone handhelds, but I may be able to confuse your choices a little more ;) Have you ever thought about a Pocket PC with build in GPS? It allows you some extra features which a standalone unit couldn't offer, and the price should be quite similar. It would also be handy for sticking in your car as well as walks.

Just bit the bullet and got a Magellan Explorist 600. I have an iPaq and had considered using that but it simply wouldn't stand up to he hammering it would get on the trail.;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... actually, I know a lot about nothing ;-)

Well that sorted that out then ... but this is the first time I've seen this thread. :rolleyes:

Enjoy. :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

my sister has that and its the most useful thing ever, its was a bit more expensive but for what she got its amazing

Ask a Question