hal.dll error on vista SINLGE boot

cycomiko

hey all,

i rebooted my PC today and on boot, i got an error saying that hal.dll
was missing or corrupt. i have looked everywhere for a solution to
this but i have not had any success.

i am (was) running vista home premium on a single boot. everywhere i
looked there is no hal.dll for vista 32 bit. i think halacpi.dll is
used instead. anyway, the only solution after hours of trying was
unfortunately a clean install.

does anyone have a clue why a file that wasnt supposed to be there is
missing in the first place. and if it IS supposed to be there, how the
heck can i reinstall it from the VISTA DVD??

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

cycomiko

hey all,

i rebooted my PC today and on boot, i got an error saying that hal.dll
was missing or corrupt. i have looked everywhere for a solution to
this but i have not had any success.

i am (was) running vista home premium on a single boot. everywhere i
looked there is no hal.dll for vista 32 bit. i think halacpi.dll is
used instead. anyway, the only solution after hours of trying was
unfortunately a clean install.

does anyone have a clue why a file that wasnt supposed to be there is
missing in the first place. and if it IS supposed to be there, how the
heck can i reinstall it from the VISTA DVD??

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

anyone?

Malke

cycomiko said:

With XP, this error message is misleading and doesn't really have
anything to do with the hal.dll but rather means that boot.ini
(instructions for booting) is damaged. It is probably something similar
in Vista. Put in your Vista DVD and boot with it. Then you will see a
place where you can choose to repair the Startup. Do that.

Malke

--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

however the problem remains. i can't even fix the boot manager. and i have
had to formaty twice already.

help please!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
What is in the log file after you run a repair? You should be presented
with a log file, can you post what is in that log file.

Then can you go to the cmd prompt option while in the repair mode.
Try running this command:
sfc /verifyonly /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows:

Now capture the cbs.log file from c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

Then run findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt on
that cbs.log file.
Post the results of what is in the sfcdetails.txt file.

As a precaution, make a copy of all three hal files that live in the
\windows folder
Hal.dll
Halacpi.dll
halmacpi.dll

So that if the hal files are missing or corrupted, you can copy the three
files back since you have them backed up already.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Y3ljb21pa28=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: hal.dll error on vista SINLGE boot
|> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:06:01 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

|> > With XP, this error message is misleading and doesn't really have
|> > anything to do with the hal.dll but rather means that boot.ini
|> > (instructions for booting) is damaged. It is probably something
similar
|> > in Vista. Put in your Vista DVD and boot with it. Then you will see a
|> > place where you can choose to repair the Startup. Do that.
|> >

|> > Malke
|> > --
|> > Elephant Boy Computers
|> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
|> > "Don't Panic!"
|> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
|> >
|> unfortunately when i boot from the dvd and try to repair the
installation,
|> it doesnt work. the error keeps appearing when i reboot. i have linked
this
|> problem to norton 360.
|>
|> however the problem remains. i can't even fix the boot manager. and i
have
|> had to formaty twice already.
|>
|> help please!

thx for the reply...but i found something rather disconcerting.
the problem wasnt limited to hal.dll. it turns out there were something more
than 15 files missing including halacpi.dll, acpi.sys, viaraid.sys atapi.sys
etc....very weird indeed. i know its not virus related b/c i had just done a
clean format. how would someone explain all those missing files at once?