Hacking Oyster cards?

sk8terg1rl

Hey guys. I was curious whether it is possible to hack the
authentication process of Oyster cards, simply out of academic
interest. Sorry if this is off topic but I don't know where else to
ask, and I thought this group would at least have a few technologically
inclined people who could point me in the right direction.

First off, the legalities:
I fully intend to pay my fares but I am against the Big Brother
monitoring system. So if I go from A -} B, both in Zone 1, I can just
check in/out at A before starting my journey. That way I still pay the
money that is due but frustrate the monitoring system.

AIUI we are required to pay the fares due, and passengers are under no
obligation to provide further information that is frankly none of TfL's
business.

Is what I am suggesting illegal?

Now, the technicalities:
Does the Oyster card work by storing the amount of £££ stored on the
RFID chip on it, or does it work by storing a unique ID code that is
cross-referenced with a central database recording how much fare money
that ID number has left?

Theoretically:
If it is the former, I will need to double the amount of money I have
and use two Oyster cards, one with a hacked £££ and one with the
actual £££. So at A I use the actual £££ one twice while at B I
used the hacked £££ one as a "Get out of Jail" card.

If it is the latter, then I use the real one at A twice and spoof some
other ID at B. I will probably need to get the ID of a Freedom Pass,
e.g. by going near a Senior Citizen or bobby and reading their RFID
chip with a portable RFID reader...lol!

Thanks

Conor

Hey guys. I was curious whether it is possible to hack the
authentication process of Oyster cards, simply out of academic
interest. Sorry if this is off topic but I don't know where else to
ask, and I thought this group would at least have a few technologically
inclined people who could point me in the right direction.

First off, the legalities:
I fully intend to pay my fares but I am against the Big Brother
monitoring system. So if I go from A -} B, both in Zone 1, I can just
check in/out at A before starting my journey. That way I still pay the
money that is due but frustrate the monitoring system.

AIUI we are required to pay the fares due, and passengers are under no
obligation to provide further information that is frankly none of TfL's
business.

Is what I am suggesting illegal?
Yes under the Computer Misuse Act.

sk8terg1rl

Conor said:
Yes under the Computer Misuse Act.

Ah, thanks.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990/Ukpga_19900018_en_1.htm

Are RFIDs classified as Computers? According to the dictionary, storage
%and% processing of data are part of the definition. RFIDs just store
data. So the Act may not be applicable.

In any case...none of these 3 clauses are broken:
(a) to impair the operation of any computer;
The ticket barriers would still work fine. And the acid test is passed:
TfL still gets its due fare from me, they just get it in an anonymised
way.

(b) to prevent or hinder access to any program or data held in
any computer; or
The RFID on the Oyster card still reads fine.

(c) to impair the operation of any such program or the
reliability of any such data.
The system still works and the fares are still paid, so the operation
is not impaired in any way. The data is still utterly reliable from an
accounting point of view.

John Doe

sk8terg1rl said:
Hey guys. I was curious whether it is possible to hack the
authentication process of Oyster cards, simply out of academic
interest. Sorry if this is off topic but I don't know where else to
ask,

A hacker group?

sk8terg1rl

John said:
A hacker group?

Tend to have low activity and non-UK, I'm afraid. I've noticed many £
signs in this group :)

Why are you quoting my full Usenet headers anyway? My IP is masked as
anonymity is the only true guarantee of free speech.

Don Freeman

Tend to have low activity and non-UK, I'm afraid. I've noticed many £
signs in this group :)

Why are you quoting my full Usenet headers anyway?
..
Because he is a twit, and that's what twits do.

John Doe

Troll

Path: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm04.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!news.linkpendium.com!news.linkpendium.com!news.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!news3.google.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!novia!news-xfer.nntp.sonic.net!posts.news.sonic.net!nnrp0.nntp.sonic.net!not-for-mail
From: "Don Freeman" <freemand sonic.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hacking Oyster cards?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:52:23 -0700

sk8terg1rl said:
Tend to have low activity and non-UK, I'm afraid. I've noticed
many œ signs in this group :)

So you know a lot about USENET.

This thread is the first instance of "sk8terg1rl" in over 25 years
of USENET history.
Why are you quoting my full Usenet headers anyway? My IP is masked
as anonymity is the only true guarantee of free speech.

If it works, why are you concerned?

I couldn't care less whether you are anonymous. I do want to know
what your normal mode of operation is here on USENET. Why are you
nym shifting?

Why would you assume a female identity and act like a female
when you want to remain anonymous? Are you just trying to get a
balls-first reaction from a Neanderthal like Don Freeman?

sk8terg1rl

John said:
So you know a lot about USENET.

This thread is the first instance of "sk8terg1rl" in over 25 years
of USENET history.

Chill dude. Nothing wrong with knowing a lot about Usenet, it just
means I pay attention in class :). Nothing wrong with having a new
account either.
If it works, why are you concerned?

"Nothing to hide, nothing to lose" attitudes like yours sell away the
freedoms we fight so hard to protect.

I actually value my freedom & privacy and would rather busybodies just
mind their own bloody business.
I couldn't care less whether you are anonymous. I do want to know
what your normal mode of operation is here on USENET. Why are you
nym shifting?

Why have you assumed this isn't a new account and not a nym shift?

I think you're being overzealous in trying to fend off trolls, to the
point that you've become a pseudo-troll yourself.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does
not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the
abyss will gaze back into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Why would you assume a female identity and act like a female
when you want to remain anonymous?

Why are you assuming girls can't talk tech like boys? You can just be
as much of a troll being a chauvinist than you can by spouting insults
like the usual variety, c.f. Freddy above again.

Do you think your technical inclination comes from that organ between
your legs?
Are you just trying to get a
balls-first reaction from a Neanderthal like Don Freeman?

I haven't done anything which warrants any valid accusation of
trolling. You will be hard pressed to even demonstrate (let alone
prove) mens and actus rea.

John Doe

Nym shifting troll

From: "sk8terg1rl" <sk8terg1rl_2006 yahoo.co.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: 7 Sep 2006 14:26:16 -0700

John said:
[...]

I have taken the pains to defend my position coherently and reasonably.
You, OTOH, have resorted to unsubstantiated, one liner name calling
like a bull in a china shop.

Any unbiased observer would be able to draw their own conclusions.

Don Freeman

I have taken the pains to defend my position coherently and reasonably.
You, OTOH, have resorted to unsubstantiated, one liner name calling
like a bull in a china shop.
Any unbiased observer would be able to draw their own conclusions.

Which is why most of us have learned to filter his messages out so that we
don't even see them. Except when someone new comes along and quotes his
useless rants in their messages.

John Doe

A not quite grown-up "old fart" who hasn't figured out how useless a
kill file is without the ability to ignore subthreads (a thread
branch), so admittedly he is forever stumbling over replies to my
posts.

See also:

"Cosmo" <cosmo cosmoslair.com>

From: "Don Freeman" <freeman.REMOVE smrn.com>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
Subject: HTML posting; Was: Songs like Black Sabbath's N.I.B
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:54:56 GMT

From: "Don Freeman" <freemand sonic.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:28:45 -0700

Don said:
Which is why most of us have learned to filter his messages out so that we
don't even see them. Except when someone new comes along and quotes his
useless rants in their messages.

Sorry about that, Don. I will ignore him in the future. Thank you for
your support.

I will try uk.legal after this. I think the legality of what I am
proposing needs to be cleared up as I have been in enough trouble with
the authorities before and don't want any repeat episodes (hence my
desire for anonymity).

John Doe

Don Freeman wrote:

<Snipped garbage>
Sorry about that, Don.

You're just a troll.
I will ignore him in the future.

You aren't even going to stay in this group. If you did, you
wouldn't ignore me anyway.
Thank you for your support.

Are you still expecting someone here to help you hack into the
London transport system?
I will try uk.legal after this.

And the cow jumped over the moon.
I think the legality of what I am
proposing needs to be cleared up

The same with whatever it is you're smoking.
as I have been in enough trouble with
the authorities before

That sounds a lot like the truth (it would explain your
defensiveness), but who knows.
and don't want any repeat episodes (hence my
desire for anonymity).

Sounds like you have some serious antisocial tendencies, still
unremedied.

Why exactly do you want to hack into and defeat London's transport
monitoring system? I'm sure they are doing that to help prevent
terrorists from terrorizing people and to reduce terrorism.

Are you planning to plant a bomb or blow up something there in
London? Are you familiar with weapons of mass destruction (WMD)? Are
you a suicide bomber waiting to happen?

Inquiring minds need to know.

sbb78247

sk8terg1rl said:
Tend to have low activity and non-UK, I'm afraid. I've noticed many £
signs in this group :)

Why are you quoting my full Usenet headers anyway? My IP is masked as
anonymity is the only true guarantee of free speech.

don was too nice - john is a grade a cockbiter and gets his jollies this
way.

John Doe

An insulting, tough guy wanna-be troll, usually at home in
alt.os.windows-xp

From: "sbb78247" <nospam professionalprick.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 22:11:32 -0500
Tend to have low activity and non-UK, I'm afraid. I've noticed many £
signs in this group :)

Why are you quoting my full Usenet headers anyway? My IP is masked as
anonymity is the only true guarantee of free speech.

don was too nice - john is a grade a cockbiter and gets his jollies this
way.

Paul

sk8terg1rl said:
Hey guys. I was curious whether it is possible to hack the
authentication process of Oyster cards, simply out of academic
interest. Sorry if this is off topic but I don't know where else to
ask, and I thought this group would at least have a few technologically
inclined people who could point me in the right direction.

First off, the legalities:
I fully intend to pay my fares but I am against the Big Brother
monitoring system. So if I go from A -} B, both in Zone 1, I can just
check in/out at A before starting my journey. That way I still pay the
money that is due but frustrate the monitoring system.

AIUI we are required to pay the fares due, and passengers are under no
obligation to provide further information that is frankly none of TfL's
business.

Is what I am suggesting illegal?

Now, the technicalities:
Does the Oyster card work by storing the amount of =A3=A3=A3 stored on the
RFID chip on it, or does it work by storing a unique ID code that is
cross-referenced with a central database recording how much fare money
that ID number has left?

Theoretically:
If it is the former, I will need to double the amount of money I have
and use two Oyster cards, one with a hacked =A3=A3=A3 and one with the
actual =A3=A3=A3. So at A I use the actual =A3=A3=A3 one twice while at B I
used the hacked =A3=A3=A3 one as a "Get out of Jail" card.

If it is the latter, then I use the real one at A twice and spoof some
other ID at B. I will probably need to get the ID of a Freedom Pass,
e=2Eg. by going near a Senior Citizen or bobby and reading their RFID
chip with a portable RFID reader...lol!

Thanks

You can find a lot of public information on these systems on the web.

According to the first article, you have the option of not using
the Oyster card, and paying for a paper ticket. In that way, you
can maintain your anonymity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card

http://mifare.net/showcases/london.asp
http://www.nxp.com/products/identification/mifare/index.html
http://www.nxp.com/acrobat/other/identification/m001051.pdf (the chip)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_smartcard

Paul

WooHoo2You

Way to go, you can use a search engine. Now, lets learning to play nice
with others after that...nap time!

--
WooHoo2You

"People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a
confession of character."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

(John Doe, take note to this quotation)