GUID DNS name could not be resolved


E

Eduardo Sicouret

Hello.

I have this really huge problem that i've been trying to resolve for several
days now.

I have a windows 2000 domain. In the DC (windows 2000 server) I run
dcdiag.exe with the following output.

"SERVERNAME's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an IP address.
Although the Guid DNS name xxxx couldn't be resolved, the server name
resolved to the IP address xx.xx.xx.xx and was pingable. Check that the IP
address is registered correctly with the DNS server."

I've tried almost everything.

I've chequed that the primary DNS server in TCP-IP points to the server
address. (in this particular case is the same IP of the DC)
I've restarted NETLOGON service several times
I've restarted DNS service several times
I've run netdiag, netdiag /fix, dcdiag, nslookup, ipconfig /flushdns,
ipconfig /registerdns.

but nothing seems to work for me.

with netdiag i get this error:
"cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the name
'server.domain'. [RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE]. The name 'server.domain.' may not
be registered in DNS."

any idea of how to resolve this problem.

The main reason I need to resolve this is to migrate all the FSMO from my
current DC to another DC.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eduardo Sicouret
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Eduardo said:
Hello.

I have this really huge problem that i've been trying to resolve for
several days now.

I have a windows 2000 domain. In the DC (windows 2000 server) I run
dcdiag.exe with the following output.

"SERVERNAME's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an IP
address. Although the Guid DNS name xxxx couldn't be resolved, the
server name resolved to the IP address xx.xx.xx.xx and was pingable.
Check that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS
server."

I've tried almost everything.

I've chequed that the primary DNS server in TCP-IP points to the
server address. (in this particular case is the same IP of the DC)
I've restarted NETLOGON service several times
I've restarted DNS service several times
I've run netdiag, netdiag /fix, dcdiag, nslookup, ipconfig /flushdns,
ipconfig /registerdns.

but nothing seems to work for me.

with netdiag i get this error:
"cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the name
'server.domain'. [RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE]. The name 'server.domain.'
may not be registered in DNS."

Ah, sounds like you've used a single label DNS name for your domain, have
you?

300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684&sd=RMVP

For further help on this issue, repost with the AD DNS Domain name from
ADU&C and an ipconfig /all from your DC. (Unedited)
 
E

Eduardo Sicouret

yes i have a single label DNS name for my domain.

I modified the registry setting in my server.

nothing yet has happened. do i have to restart the server?

and another question... I have almost 300 hundred pc's in my network with
windows 2000 how can i implement this change in all of them??

Regards,

Eduardo

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. said:
Eduardo said:
Hello.

I have this really huge problem that i've been trying to resolve for
several days now.

I have a windows 2000 domain. In the DC (windows 2000 server) I run
dcdiag.exe with the following output.

"SERVERNAME's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an IP
address. Although the Guid DNS name xxxx couldn't be resolved, the
server name resolved to the IP address xx.xx.xx.xx and was pingable.
Check that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS
server."

I've tried almost everything.

I've chequed that the primary DNS server in TCP-IP points to the
server address. (in this particular case is the same IP of the DC)
I've restarted NETLOGON service several times
I've restarted DNS service several times
I've run netdiag, netdiag /fix, dcdiag, nslookup, ipconfig /flushdns,
ipconfig /registerdns.

but nothing seems to work for me.

with netdiag i get this error:
"cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the name
'server.domain'. [RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE]. The name 'server.domain.'
may not be registered in DNS."

Ah, sounds like you've used a single label DNS name for your domain, have
you?

300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684&sd=RMVP

For further help on this issue, repost with the AD DNS Domain name from
ADU&C and an ipconfig /all from your DC. (Unedited)
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Eduardo said:
yes i have a single label DNS name for my domain.

I modified the registry setting in my server.

nothing yet has happened. do i have to restart the server?

and another question... I have almost 300 hundred pc's in my network
with windows 2000 how can i implement this change in all of them??

Are they all Windows 2000?
You can create a registry script to run on the Win2k clients, any XP clients
can be done in a group policy, which is noted in the article I posted.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top