GTX 580!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i did it..... :D

Just couldn't resist new shiny things anymore lol... and i have a buyer that want the 480 @£200 already so it means i dont have to deal with retarded ebayers, Paypal and Ebay fees etc.... Win.

I got the Cheap OcUK one, Which is a random card from several manufacturers including Sparkle (This one) PNY and Inno3D.

I only paid £391 for it as i used the no VAT rise code + free shipping etc.

If your wondering all the cards are made my Nvidia in the same factory and its just the sticker, box and warranty that is different. ;)

Just installed it so no bench's or OC results as yet, but its quieter and cooler so far.....

Anyway, am off to push this fella and see what it can do... :cool:

Pics...

239t6o.png

xoqq15.png

2gso64k.png

34qa99s.png

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Very nice too :)

Although you say all Nvidia cards are made by Nvidia I was under the impression that third party companies ordering cards made from Nividia also specified different electronic specifications and cooling arrangements as well as the more obvious cosmetic differences.

If you browse OCUK's range of 580's you will see differences between them.

OCUK delivered ok then?

Is the 580 cooler and quieter than the 480?

Looking forward to hearing what you think of your new toy :)

So all in all this card has cost you less than £200 - excellent.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Although you say all Nvidia cards are made by Nvidia I was under the impression that third party companies ordering cards made from Nividia also specified different electronic specifications and cooling arrangements as well as the more obvious cosmetic differences.
Well, i was actually of that same opinion too Flops, and that is true of other cards (i think) but from reading i've done it seems all the 580's for now are all 'Reference' design' Meaning the PCB, layout and cooler are the same. The cards do have their own manufacturers BOIS but that is all by all accounts...

The only non standard 580 out at the moment is the EVGA FTW Hydro, which has the EVGA WC Block on and is only single slot.
The manufacturers still use 'creative' crap about the cards, but by all accounts there are no non reference designs out yet. But i'm sure it wont be long.

OCUK delivered ok then?
Yep no issues with OcUK at all, but then i've never have had any issues with them. :)

However, With that said This card is going back to OcUK tomorrow.... Why? Because its an absolute dog of an overclocker....! Its unstable with a mild OC on stock volts... :(

I sent OcUK a webnote this morning asking for an RMA, received said number in the afternoon. Cards ready to go back in the morning.
Ordered the Asus version. Which i nearly did in the first place... Wish i had now.... Typical aint it. Must start listening to my gut instincts! :p

Anyone getting a sense of Deja vu from when i got that 480!? lol

But yep the cooler is quite a lot quieter than the 480's, its a slightly different design too, the 480 is a heat pipe design and the 580 is a 'Vapour Chamber'

Its cooler too.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Got the Asus 580, Gotta say it looks sooooo much better than the Sparkle card.... The blue PCB of the Sparkle was kinda fugly! lol

Update coming later....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, new Asus card installed and running, and i was right, its looks 100 times better than that Sparkle card! I love the shiny effect on the cooler...

I forgot to mention, though it makes little difference that this one actually runs at slightly higher clocks that the other card too...

Right, time for benching and OCing. :)

Pics.... (I really need to do something about that 8 pin across the cards....I even have of of these, but haven't got round to adding it in yet)

Excuse the dust, case hasn't had a clean out for a while! :blush:

155hz5f.png

ziq80k.png

voaizc.png

kbrq7b.png

10g01h3.png

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It does look a lot better don't it?

Hey, snap off the front panel of your optical drive, rub all the writing off with a little steel wool or similar and spray it a nice satin black.

Much blackness and goodness will ensue ;)

It's almost like having a case badge, lol

I have but the one case badge on my 4 machines, a little Linux penguin on the front of my Antec Sonata case in the bedroom which I think actually looks quite good.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Hey, snap off the front panel of your optical drive, rub all the writing off with a little steel wool or similar and spray it a nice satin black.

Much blackness and goodness will ensue ;)
Thats a damn good idea, though as good with PC's i am, DIY isn't so much my forte! lmao

Reaction score
he only bought it cos some sucker decided to take his old one off his hands for £200 ....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah, i lucked out there didn't i....!

Wonder who that was? :p

On another note, this card is stable @830 on stock volts, unlike the first one, Just as i hoped/suspected! :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Small update....

Had it up to 850 on the core with a slight nudge up on the volts.... Maxed at 80c

It'll do 900+ easy with 1.1mV i think, but i wont be running it at that 24/7.

hv3w34.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Got the refund for the original order of the Sparkle card today.

OcUK were good to me again. :)

Ask a Question