Group Policy Editor

Michelle

I am struggling with auditing one printer. I went to
printer properties under Auditing and turned on auditing
for a particular username. However, I got the
message, "The current Audit Policy for this computer does
not have auditing turned on. If this computer gets audit
policy from the domain, please ask a domain admin to turn
on auditing using Group Policy Editor. Otherwise, use the
Local Computer Policy Editor to configure the audit policy
locally on this computer."

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do under Group
Policy Editor. I am on the actual print server.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

I understand that you want to configure printer auditing.

Please find the information on how to turn on auditing for printers in
printer properties in the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/
windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/core/fnbe_prn_sjis.asp

Please find the information on how to turn on printer auditing using group
policy.

How to Enable Auditing on a Computer That Is a Member of a Domain
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
click Active Directory Users and Computers.
2. Right-click your domain, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Group Policy tab, click the group policy object that you want
to use, and then click Edit.
4. Under Computer Configuration, click to expand Windows Settings, click to
expand Security Settings, click to expand Local Policies, and then click
Audit Policy.
5. Double-click Audit object access.
6. Click to select the Define these policy settings check box, click to
select the Success check box, click to select the Failure check box, and
then click OK.
7. Quit the Group Policy snap-in, and then click Close.

How to Enable Auditing on a Computer That Is Not a Member of a Domain
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
3. Under Computer Configuration, click to expand Windows Settings, click to
expand Security Settings, click to expand Local Policies, and then click
Audit Policy.
4. Double-click Audit object access.
5. Click to select the Define these policy settings check box, click to
select the Success check box, click to select the Failure check box, and
then click OK.
6. Quit the Group Policy snap-in.

You should be able to find the audited events in the event viewer now.

Hope your query was answered.

Thank you,

Rashmi