Gradual Migration from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003

R

Ritchie Lawrence

Hi Folks,

My existing NT4 domain has 100 Exchange 5.5 users. I'm migrating to a new 2003 domain
with a new Exchange 2003 server in a new Organisation (but the same mail domain). I've
no problem migrating user accounts or mailboxes.

What I'd appreciate some help with though, is how to forward emails (that are addressed
to mailboxes which haven't yet been migrated) from the new exchange server to the old
Exchange server.

I had hoped to re-configure our firewall to forward incoming email to the new server,
and then configure the new server to forward unrecognised/unknown mail to the old
server. I could then migrate users/mailboxes gradually and at my convenience.

Unfortunately I couldn't find such a setting on the 2003 Exchange server. Is this
possible, or do I need to totally re-think my migration plan to include some kind
of Exchange connector between the two mail servers?

M

Mark Arnold [MVP]

Hi Folks,

My existing NT4 domain has 100 Exchange 5.5 users. I'm migrating to a new 2003 domain
with a new Exchange 2003 server in a new Organisation (but the same mail domain). I've
no problem migrating user accounts or mailboxes.

What I'd appreciate some help with though, is how to forward emails (that are addressed
to mailboxes which haven't yet been migrated) from the new exchange server to the old
Exchange server.

I had hoped to re-configure our firewall to forward incoming email to the new server,
and then configure the new server to forward unrecognised/unknown mail to the old
server. I could then migrate users/mailboxes gradually and at my convenience.

Unfortunately I couldn't find such a setting on the 2003 Exchange server. Is this
possible, or do I need to totally re-think my migration plan to include some kind
of Exchange connector between the two mail servers?

You can do that. It's on the properties of the smtp virtual server and
then on the Messages tab. It's the bottom box.
Remember that in E2K/3 the smtp isn't in IIS Manager any more, i's in
Exchange System Manager.

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk

Ask a Question