GPRS and network statistics for WINCE 5.0

Reaction score
I am developing for a WINCE 5.0 box that is not a smart phone, it doesn't have Connection Manager or cellcore.dll

I've studied the APIs for Ras and I know it is possible to establish a connection and monitor status, but HOW to get network statistics such as Signal Strength or bytes sent/received?

The TAPI API is not available without cellcore.dll, but I know every GPRS modem supports AT commands to interrogate the statistics.

The problem I am seeing is that RAS API takes owenrship of the serial port, therefore the only way to invoke AT commands is by closing the PPP session, closing the serial Port, interrogating the modem and then re-establish the connection... but this is not an acceptable solution.

I would like my box to work like my cell phone: read the bars even while I am talking on the phone... meaning that I don't have to kill the data or voice connection in order to get statistics.

Is this not possible without cellcore.dll?

Can someone suggest how to monitor network statistics while connected?
Regards,
Uri

Ask a Question