got accent?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I read in a recent post here somewhere that Chris Postill said he talks posh.

So I wondered how you lot considered yourself as talking?

You posh, broad cockney, scouse, welsh, jock, brum whatever?

Chris's comment made me think of myself when I was younger. Although my dad was a scouse, my Mum was pure 1950's British movie, dead posh, and it rubbed off on me.

So much so that when I moved schools at age 7, I was beaten up a few times for 'talking like a posh git' until I started hitting them back, lol

We'd moved from a kind of middle class neighbourhood to a decidedly 'working class' enviroment, which is where I've been ever since, more or less ;)

Myself, I have a very southern neutral accent, can talk more or less any way you like, good at mimmicking, even. I can talk 'posh' but I do find the more beers I have the more I lapse into broad cockney. Funny thing that :D

I've met Mucks, he has a fairly neutral accent as well, with just a soft burr of Scottish.

So, what do ya speaks like?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I have a neutral southern accent as well, so I'm told - parents were in the forces, so never tended to stay anywhere long enough to get an accent.

Reaction score
I've lived in the south of the country all of my life - so never had any influence from any "northerners" or "West country folk"

I was brought up to pronounce my words properly, and use correct words, things like that.

The thing is, a couple years ago, i started taking the P*ss out of how what were then known as Pikeys, now Chavs speak (Oops, did not mean to capitalise there, they do not deserve such recognition) and it kind of stuck, so from time to time you will hear me say innit, or something of that nature.

So as you pointed out Flops, i do quite suppose i talk relativly posh. I wouldn't have thought it would as extreme as the Kings/Queens English, but one does like to use correct phrases in their right context ;)

U no wot i's sayin blood?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Geordie here - although it seems to become a bit neutered after living with Becky! Still have my cheeky Geordie charm though ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i dont think i have an accent, i've grown up in a middle class area and can talk 'posh' when needed

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Apparently I talk posh - like Ian said, living with me has neutralised his accent somewhat! His mates thinks he talks 'dead' posh like' nowadays ;)

I'm getting quite good at impersonating a Geordie accent - which for a southern gal is quite an achievement! :)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Well I was born and lived in Chelmsford and Romford till age 8, then Leeds till 18, then Coventry till 22 and then Doncaster from 22 to now. When we moved to Leeds the kids at school poked fun at my accent. Nowadays I suppose I have somewhat of a Yorkshire accent but like Chris P like to pronounce words properly.

Yes, there is an eloquent Sheffield/Barnsley accent but boy are those broad Barnsley folk hard to understand - if anyone's been watching Priest Idol on C4 you will know wat I mean!!!

I can dip in and out of a very broad Yorkshire accent if needed with work and can translate if anyone ever needs help!!!

Gabs xx

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Wow Gabs, would never have believed you were an Essex Girl! - used to live in Sheffield at one time, didn't stray too much across to Doncaster though, we used to think it was a bit rough:p

:D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Doncaster (or Donny as we locals call it) has found fame and fortune courtesy of chavs/chav speak etc... and features quite strongly on some of the chav sites. There are some rough bits and some nice bits - we're in the nice end!!!! Very handy for the motorway (M18) - only minutes away.

Amazing what you learn about people isn't it!!!!!

Gabs xx

Reaction score
I was in the Medway towns today, visiting family, then for a Wedding at "The Village" hotel in Maidstone.

Chav's are originally from Chatham - thats where the word has always come from (none of the other meanings can possibly be true, just take a walk down Chatham high stren, you will see what i mean)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I was in the Medway towns today, visiting family, then for a Wedding at "The Village" hotel in Maidstone.

Chav's are originally from Chatham - thats where the word has always come from (none of the other meanings can possibly be true, just take a walk down Chatham high street, you will see what i mean)

I've worked in Chatham, tis truly a unique place. Ahem :D

Maidstone's quite nice though, I done Disco there for about a year, first floor of one of the pubs in the high street, kinda interesting, but such a contrast between peeps there and London folk, quite unbelievable, really.

Also worked in Maidstone, this pipe crossing a bridge on the Medway somewhere. All I can remember is that a sweet factory owned by Trebor was close by and we kept getting assailed with smells ranging from apple to rhubard & custard whilst hanging off this bridge.

Accent there much the same as London suburbs though.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Accent? Accent?

One does not have an accent when one speaks the Queens English, just like what I does!:) :) :)

No, seriously, most people don't think I have an accent (boring); Grew up in South Wales but lost most of the "taffy" when I lived around the Welsh / English border, before moving to the Channel Islands where there seem to be so many of us foreigners that nobody knows what a local accent sounds like any more:D

Reaction score
i was born in st albans, and then moved to hemel hempstead which is about 10 miles from it

i have no accent

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Me, I'm a weird one, I always assumed that I had a staight up kiwi accent but apparently I don't. As a kid we moved back & forth between NZ & Aussie a bit 'cos me mum's an Aussie & all her relly's live ova there, but our main home was in Central otago NZ. On the other hand my father was born British, came out on one of the Liverpool orphan boats afta the war so I suppose some of his accent has rubbed off on me too. Most often If someone can't place my accent they mistake it for some sort of neutral British accent (which surprised me considerably. especially once when it was a Britt made that mistake & was surprised to find out I was a Kiwi. Altho I doubt any other Britt would do so)
I can do a good Aussie drawl when I want... "So g'dday mate... how ya goin?" Although All Aussies think NZders hang their clothes out with "pigs" & that we all have "seex" between 5 & 7. But we know that it's really them do that;).
I have noticed that since living with John I've definitely picked up bits & pieces of scouse without meaning to, but when I try & talk scouse it has him ROFLHAO.
When I've heard myself talking on tape I always reckon I sound like I've got my fingers shoved up my nose & I reckon I sound awful, but friends I've got in America think my accent is cool (ROFLMAO) so maybe I should go & live there one day :)

Reaction score
Accent umm.... well I'm from the states so I definatley sound different to most of you. Also within the states you have very distinct accents. I'll break some down as best I can.
  • Southern Country- basically states like Georgia, Tennesee, and Mississippi. Has a droll and a twang sound to it, also spoken a bit slower. Like the word Mississippi would be cut down to mizipi.
  • New York - you don't actually have a name.. your called 'yo' and we say Coffee like Kaufy.Also NewYorkers speak very, very fast. And in parts of Brooklyn.. every one really does talk like "Rocky"
  • Boston - an accent all their own and no one knows why... to me its the worts accent of all. They say Car like 'Kah' "Did ya pak de Kah? "
There are a lot more but these are the most easily defined. As for myself.. well I've moved around alot.. I've learned to adapt to most, exept Boston. But I like My NY accent the best, and when neccesary I slow it down and pronounciate. This usually throws everyone off... and sounds the most ambiguous and professional in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ask a Question