Google links go to wrong URL

Having a nightmare with links from a google search, they don't link to the
correct URL and I get transfered to another site. Downloaded & installed MS
Antispyware Beta 1 and it came up with a couple of severe problems for the
following:

INetBar Spyware
CoolWebSearch.ntsearch Browser Modifier

It recommended deleting them which I did, but the problem still exists. IE,
MS Word & Excell also take a long time to open up. I've tried running the
Antispyware many times but it isn't detecting any problems.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Ira

It sounds like you have been Hijacked, Try running Hijack This.
Ira
"Google links go to wrong URL, IE Problem" <Google links go to wrong URL, IE
:
: INetBar Spyware
: CoolWebSearch.ntsearch Browser Modifier
:
: It recommended deleting them which I did, but the problem still exists.
IE,
: MS Word & Excell also take a long time to open up. I've tried running the
: Antispyware many times but it isn't detecting any problems.
:
: Any suggestions would be most welcome.
:
: Thanks
:
:

Many Thanks for that Ira,

Downloaded & run Hijack This and ended up with a big list. How on earth do I
know what to delete?

Hope you can offer some help

Cheers

Hi There ,

Here's some info on ntsearch:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojspoonerb.html

the filename is sp.exe but that part will be clearer by viewing the Hijack
This log, If you cannot find these entries due to Microsoft Antispy already
removing them then skip this part and download Ewido & Ad-aware SE to check
for other problems,

Run Hijack This and choose to do a system scan and save the logfile, check
the 04 run key area for a path leading to sp.exe and fix that entry if found
by placing a checkmark next to the entry and pressing Fix Checked with all
other open windows except Hijack This closed but make a note of where the
sp.exe file is (Typically c:\sp.exe or c:\windows\sp.exe) like this entry:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sp] C:\sp.exe

For inetbar check the 04 run key area for 'ibautolaunch' and fix if found
then after fixing the entries reboot and delete the sp.exe file from your
system.

c:\sp.exe <--Delete this file

c:\Windows\sp.exe <--Delete this file

For Inetbar check for these folder's and delete them,

c:\programfiles\inetbar <--Delete this folder

c:\programfiles\commonfiles\inetcash <--Delete this folder

You may need to enable hidden files and folders to find the sp.exe file,

To Enable Hidden Files and Folders

Click Start > Open My Computer > Select the Tools menu from the top bar and
click Folder Options > Select the View Tab.

Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and
folders.
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

Click Yes to confirm > Click OK.

Set this back after you have checked for the files by opening the same page
and pressing "Restore Defaults"

Please then download, install, and update the trial version of ewido
security suite

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background
guard" and "Install scan via context menu". Click on update in the left menu,
then click the Start update button. After the update finishes close Ewido

Then download Ad-Aware SE from here:

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html

Install Ad-Aware and run it. In the bottom-right hand corner, click "Check
for updates now". Click "Connect" to download the newest reference file then
close Ad-Aware,

Now reboot to Safe Mode - Restart your computer and immediately begin
tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.
If done right a Windows Advanced Options menu will appear. Select the Safe
Mode option and press Enter.
To return to normal mode just restart your computer as you normally would.

Open Ad-Aware SE and click 'Start'. Select "Full System Scan" and then click
"Next". Ad-Aware will then scan for malware. When it is finished, make sure
all objects listed are selected and click "Next" to remove anything found.

Run Ewido again. From the main menu click on 'scanner' then click 'Complete
System Scan' When ewido finds something, it will pop up a notification.
Select "Remove" and check the boxes "Perform action with all infections" and
"Create encrypted backup" then click on ok.When the scan finishes, click on
"Save Report" and save it to your desktop or c:/drive incase you need it
again.

Reboot back to normal mode ,

Goto Start Menu then Control Panel and click Internet Options, Click the
Programs Tab and press "Reset Web Settings" and include the homepage then
press Yes, Then goto the General Tab and enter the homepage you want to use
into the space provided and press Apply .

Let us know if the problems continue and post the contents of the Ewido scan
log then we can have a closer look at your system using Hijack This if needed.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Firstly many thanks for your efforts to help me, it's very much appreciated.

I did all you said and the problem still exists. Something happened that may
help to solve the problem. When I was searching for sp.ex and inetbar
(neither of which showed up in Hijack This) my computer crashed every time
the search tried to access the following folder
C:\...\LocalSettings\temp\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\

Is is safe to delete this directory and start again?

Cheers

Mick

Google links go to wrong URL said:
Many Thanks for that Ira,

Downloaded & run Hijack This and ended up with a big list. How on earth do I
know what to delete?

Hope you can offer some help

Cheers

Hi Mick,

Use Ccleaner to remove the contents of the temp folders,

http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

Did Ewido find any malware on your pc ? , Can you send me a Hijack This log
from your system as that may make things abit easier, send it to
(e-mail address removed) and I will check it over for any problems,

Thanks

AndyManchesta said:
[...]

Question---Are you running IE5? If you are that explains a lot of your
problems. IE6 I believe is required for MSAS.
Ira

"Google links go to wrong URL"
: Andy,
:
: Firstly many thanks for your efforts to help me, it's very much
appreciated.
:
: I did all you said and the problem still exists. Something happened that
may
: help to solve the problem. When I was searching for sp.ex and inetbar
: (neither of which showed up in Hijack This) my computer crashed every time
: the search tried to access the following folder
: C:\...\LocalSettings\temp\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\
:
: Is is safe to delete this directory and start again?
:
: Cheers
:
: Mick
:
:
: "AndyManchesta" wrote:
:
: > Hi There ,
: >
: > Here's some info on ntsearch:
: >
[...]
: > "Google links go to wrong URL" wrote:
: >
: > > Many Thanks for that Ira,
: > >
: > > Downloaded & run Hijack This and ended up with a big list. How on
earth do I
: > > know what to delete?
: > >
: > > Hope you can offer some help
: > >
: > > Cheers
: > >
: > >
: > > > (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
: > > > : > > > : Having a nightmare with links from a google search, they don't
link to the
: > > > : correct URL and I get transfered to another site. Downloaded &
installed
: > > > MS
: > > > : Antispyware Beta 1 and it came up with a couple of severe problems
for the
: > > > : following:
: > > > :
: > > > : INetBar Spyware
: > > > : CoolWebSearch.ntsearch Browser Modifier
: > > > :
: > > > : It recommended deleting them which I did, but the problem still
exists.
: > > > IE,
: > > > : MS Word & Excell also take a long time to open up. I've tried
running the
: > > > : Antispyware many times but it isn't detecting any problems.
: > > > :
: > > > : Any suggestions would be most welcome.
: > > > :
: > > > : Thanks

Bill Sanderson

IE6 doesn't rename that folder, Ira--it just uses it.

--

Ira said:
[...]

: "AndyManchesta" wrote:
:
: > Hi There ,
: >
: > Here's some info on ntsearch:
: >
[...]
: > > "Ira" wrote:
: > >
[...]

Yeah Ira, IE6.

Thankfully AndyManchesta has been helping me a lot today, very kind of him
and I think it's pretty much sorted.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help and advise, nice to know
the Internet is good for some things like when folk need help. How sad are
these cowards who plant this crap on your machine without you knowing, they
need to get a life man!

Cheers

Mick

Ira said:
[...]

: "AndyManchesta" wrote:
:
: > Hi There ,
: >
: > Here's some info on ntsearch:
: >
[...]
: > > "Ira" wrote:
: > >
[...]

Hi Mick ,

No problems regarding the help, I'm glad we got all the active malware fixed,

Ewido managed to solved the redirection issue by deleting
(Downloader.Agent.uj, Spyware.powerlinkingprofits, Spyware.Adlogix,
Spyware.CoolWebSearch, Downloader.Small.gl, Hijacker.Small),

Panda then removed (5 Exploit/ByteVerify files, W32/Gibe.C.worm,
W32/Sober.F.worm both worms stored in Local Folders\Inbox, Trj/Dropper.BA,
Trj/Aram.A , and identified spyware files which we then removed -
adware/portalscan , adware/ideskbar, adware/cydoor, adware/sbsoft &
adware/istbar)

F-Secure Blacklight found 2 hidden malware files which were renamed and
removed (Favset.exe & Cscah.exe). Hijack This was used to just clean up by
removing some file missing entries, UnSpyPC - Rogue app' and some 016 lines -

There is a small issue left with the temp folders as Ccleaner & Cleanmgr
kept crashing when run but Im hoping SFC /Scannow will repair any damage and
we can get one of those running later today or manually remove the contents
of the temp folders to get it fixed.

Andy :)