GMail is going to ruin this group.

hi_itsme2

Rob said:
I don't see any spam here when I read the group through my
news.individual.net account.

Switch to a news ISP that filters out spam, and tell your old ISP why
you're leaving.

I agree, I've NEVER seen spam on this ng. Didn't realize why, but
apparently it's filtered at the ISP.

Jeri

TB Sheets

hi_itsme2 said:
I agree, I've NEVER seen spam on this ng. Didn't realize why, but
apparently it's filtered at the ISP.

Jeri

It hits here occasionally. Not as often as an email box but yeah, there is
definitely spam breakouts from time to time.

FTR

Arne said:
I alt.comp.freeware, sa Ray utan att tänka först:

I use this in my score file.

Score:: -9999

Well, I use

Score:: -9999
Can you explain what your filter filters with these codes (explication
understandable for the non techi), please ?

Frank

Arne Anka

I alt.comp.freeware, sa FTR utan att tänka först:
Can you explain what your filter filters with these codes (explication
understandable for the non techi), please ?

It kills messages posted on/through Google Groups.

--
Arne Anka

Men det värsta är inte själva baksmällan,
den verkliga pärsen börjar när gårdagens
oundvikliga sanningar börjar rullas upp för en...

<http://starcruiser.dk/arne/>

MLC

sabato 1 ottobre 2005 Arne Anka ha scritto:
I alt.comp.freeware, sa FTR utan att tänka först:
It kills messages posted on/through Google Groups.

With
I think it kills also all the replies to them, even if not posted through
Google Groups.

John Corliss

John, he does use 24hoursupport.helpdesk quite often.
Hope this helps,
Allen

Thanks, Allen. Right now though... my freaking hard drive just started
doing the "click... click.... click..." thing at startup. It's not long
for this world, so I'll probably be going offline when it dumps for good
and until I can effect a replacement. Luckily for me, I have two hard
drives which I synchronize on a regular basis with XXCopy, so there's
little danger of me losing me freeware archives.

--
Regards from John Corliss
My current killfile: aafuss, Chrissy Cruiser, Slowhand Hussein and others.

Michael Nitabach

I wish I could, Bob. However, I can't afford to pay for another
newsfeed than the one I get through my ISP, and I really have good
reasons for sticking with my current ISP.

Try to talk your ISP into getting their newsfeed from a better
source. In addition to the ones that have been mentioned, Giganews
filters spam very effectively. Tell your ISP that if they use a
better newsfeed, they will save money on bandwidth by sucking in and
distributing less spam across their network.

John Corliss

Michael said:
Try to talk your ISP into getting their newsfeed from a better
source. In addition to the ones that have been mentioned, Giganews
filters spam very effectively. Tell your ISP that if they use a
better newsfeed, they will save money on bandwidth by sucking in and
distributing less spam across their network.

Michael,
At my request, they've changed newsfeeds three or four times already.
They're probably getting very tired of doing this and also are running
out of options.

--
Regards from John Corliss
My current killfile: aafuss, Chrissy Cruiser, Slowhand Hussein and others.
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez please.

Maxx Pollare

Reality folded in on itself, and somewhere the following words from
"Arne Anka" appeared in history:
I alt.comp.freeware, sa Ray utan att tänka först:
I use this in my score file.

Score:: -9999

Well, I use

Score:: -9999

Well those are both odd... If all you need to catch is "google\.com"
and "googlegroups\.com" might I introduce a single change:

For Xnews...
Score:: -9999

For hamster...
-5000 Message-ID {google(groups)?\.com}
-3000 References {google(groups)?\.com}

And nFilter (News Proxy)
* drop message-id:*google.com*
* drop message-id:*googlegroups.com*
* drop references:*google.com*
* drop references:*googlegroups.com*

Rob Kelk

Michael,
At my request, they've changed newsfeeds three or four times already.
They're probably getting very tired of doing this and also are running
out of options.

Are they outsourcing news altogether, or just getting a feed from
someone and running their own news server? If it's the latter, they
might want to look into installing and running Cleanfeed on their news
server - that will block much of the spam. They should know where to
get a copy of Cleanfeed; if they don't, they can ask in news.admin.misc
or news.software.nntp ...

John Corliss

Forgot to mention that they've already tried Giganews. Seems that there
was too much downtime with that feed.
Are they outsourcing news altogether, or just getting a feed from
someone and running their own news server? If it's the latter, they
might want to look into installing and running Cleanfeed on their news
server - that will block much of the spam. They should know where to
get a copy of Cleanfeed; if they don't, they can ask in news.admin.misc
or news.software.nntp ...

Thanks for that info, Rob. I'll run it by them. By the way, I'm pretty
sure that they're getting a feed from Supernews and running their own
news servers.