From: Microsoft Customer Assistance
To: customer@updates_ms.com
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 9:43 AM
Subject: New Net Security Patch

ALERT!!!
This e-mail in its original form contained one or more
attached files that were infected with a virus or worm, or
contained another type of security threat.

The following attachments were infected and have been
repaired:
No attachments are in this category.

The following attachments were deleted due to an inability
to clean them:
1. Q977282.exe: W32.Swen.A@mm

The Following attachments were not delivered due to
inbound mail policy violations:
No attachments are in this category.

Road Runner does not contact the sender of the infected
attachment(s) in the event that they were not actually
sent from the indicated party.

Please contact the sender directly to alert them of their
issue with infected files if you wish to do so.

For more information on Road Runner's virus filtering
initiative, visit our Help & Member Services pages at
http://help.rr.com, or the virus filtering information
page directly at http://help.rr.com/faqs/e_mgsp.html.

I went to the microsoft.com website to ask for some
assistance several days ago and completed my business.
Since then, I have been inundated with multiple copies of
the following message. I am getting dozens of these a day.
I cannot figure out how to contact microsoft to get them
to look into this without paying a fee. I would like them
to look into why I am receiving these and stop them. I
have not opened any of the attachments for fear of virus.
Please help.
Thanks.
(e-mail address removed)
[...]

Albert D. Kallal

The email message you are getting are not from Microsoft. They are from
people who have their computer infected with a virus. That virus is
harvesting emails from public newsgroups (like this one). Hence, your
internet provider could, and should be filtering these messages. Note that
the messages you see here are being hosted BY YOUR internet provider.

Also, this newsgroup is for help on ms-access, the database program, and not
for general windows security questions. However, as mentioned, the problem
lies with your internet provider.

TC

(snip)
your internet provider could, and should be filtering
these messages

I find it amazing that Yahoo is still letting them through! They do go
straight into the bulk mail folder, but jeez: how hard would it be to
recognize them automatically, & just thro them stright in the
bit-bucket? It's not like these emails permute their sender &
attachment size in order to avoid detection!

TC