Getting Started

Wayne Hoy

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started developing for PPC. I have some basic
questions I hope you can help me with.

I want to develop in C#.

What is the difference between SDE and the various Pocket PC SDKs
(2002, 2003)?

If I just want to do some basic apps, do I really need VS.NET 2003, or
will the old VS.NET be good enough? What are the differences?

Thanks,
Wayne

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Wayne,

SDE(Smart Device Extension) should be installed on the VS.NET 2002. It
contains .NET CompactFramework. So, if you are using VS.NET 2002, you may
install SDE first. Pocket PC SDKs can be used in Embedded Visual Tools.

VS.NET 2003 already contained Compact Framework and PockPC 2002 Emulator.
You can develop PockPC applications without installing other things.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

| From: Wayne Hoy <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| Subject: Getting Started
| Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:08:43 GMT
|
| Hi everyone,
|
| I'm just getting started developing for PPC. I have some basic
| questions I hope you can help me with.
|
| I want to develop in C#.
|
| What is the difference between SDE and the various Pocket PC SDKs
| (2002, 2003)?
|
| If I just want to do some basic apps, do I really need VS.NET 2003, or
| will the old VS.NET be good enough? What are the differences?
|
| Thanks,
| Wayne

Wayne Hoy

Thanks for the help! I downloaded SDE for VS.NET 2002 and it works
great.

However, is there some sort of incompatibility between applications
built on VS.NET 2002 and PPC 2003? I have an HP iPAQ h2210 with PPC
2003, and I can't seem to run any applications I've built. They run
fine in the emulator.

I copy over the PPC.ARM.cab file and install it (it installs
properly), but when attempting to run the exe, nothing happens.

Thanks,
Wayne

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

The stuff that works with VS.NET 2002 is old and worn out. You *really,
really* need to get VS.NET *2003* and use that.

Paul T.