Getting AutoNum field from updated db table via data adapter

Rico

Hello,

I have a dataset that has an Orders table and an Order details table. There
is a datarelation between the two, but the information inside the dataset
isn't actual order history, it's orders that I'm about to receive, and the
relationship built between the two tables isn't the actual Orders autonum
field from the database but a data column I added myself with the autoincr
attributes set (seed=-1 step=-1)

What I'm trying to do is take that infomation, have the user select which
products are being received with that order, and when they "commit" the
information, I'd like the dataadapter to update the row (even if it's one
row at a time) into the database and get the value of the autonum field that
replaced the -1 or -2 that was in the dataset. Is this possible? If I can
do that then it won't be a problem adding the details into the child table.

Any assistance would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks!

W.G. Ryan - MVP

Check out Bill Vaughn's Retrieving the Gozoutas article -
www.betav.com ->Articles -> MSDN.

You basically need to use an output param or fire another select query. If
you use the Configuration wizard to build the query once, you can see what
it generates, it defaults to refreshing the dataset which tacks on a select
statement at the end.
"Rico" <r c o l l e n s @ h e m m i n g w a y . c o mREMOVE THIS PART IN
CAPS> wrote in message news:4a_Rf.145791$H%4.34387@pd7tw2no...

Rico

Hi WG.

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I'm quite new to ADO.net, and
building from scratch has always made more sense to me than using the
wizards (the wizards just tend to confuse me more than I already am!) ;) I
tried to use the configuration wizard anyway, and did see the "Parameters"
collection with everything but the autonum field in it. The following is
the command text

"INSERT INTO Orders
(tOrderName, wOrderDate)
VALUES (?, ?)"

if that makes any difference.

If I undserstand correctly, are you suggesting I pass a unique value of some
sort to the table and then query that back to get the new autonum value?

Rick

Rico

I just wound up creating a work around, by adding a GUID column to the
dataset, adding that to the database and reading that back to get the
autonum. It bothers me having duplicate ID values, but what can you do. I
like ADO.net with all the cool functionality it has, but I find it amazing
that it lacks something that should be as easy as old technology (like DAO
getting the new ID number). Hopefully it's on the ADO.net wish list. ;)

Rick