Generating the tooltip documentation?

A

Adam Clauss

Alright, so I've got a class library that others will be using. When you hover the mouse over most of the exiting .NET
classes/methods, you will get a tooltip popup showing the full name/declaration of the class or method, along with a line of text
description.

I am attempting to add similar descriptions to the methods and classes in my library. I've entered descriptions into the <summary>
tags that get added by default, but none of it seems to show up when I actually add my library as a reference in another project.
Is there some trick to it? Or something else I have to do altogether?

Thanks

M

mikeb

Adam said:
Alright, so I've got a class library that others will be using. When you hover the mouse over most of the exiting .NET
classes/methods, you will get a tooltip popup showing the full name/declaration of the class or method, along with a line of text
description.

I am attempting to add similar descriptions to the methods and classes in my library. I've entered descriptions into the <summary>
tags that get added by default, but none of it seems to show up when I actually add my library as a reference in another project.
Is there some trick to it? Or something else I have to do altogether?

You need to generate an XML doc file ("XML Documentation File" property
in a VS.NET project, or the /doc option in a command-line build).

Make sure this xml file is in the same directory, with the same base
name as the assembly that is being referenced.

Ask a Question