Generate DataSet is extremely slow for OleDbDataAdapter (with Oracle 8i Client installed)

mike

Hi ADO Guru,

I have a problem when I use OleDbDataAdapter and try to generate DataSet for
Oracle. It is extremely slow.

my environmnet:
VS.NET 2003, Oracle client 8i, OleDbDataAdapter, WinForm(C#)

Creating a new OleDbDataAdapter is always about 40 seconds. Creating a
DataSet is much slower and the speed is depend on how many DataSets I
already have.
For example, if I have 5 DataSet in the WinForm, to create the 6th would
cost me 6 X 3 minutes = 20 minutes. Then I could see the last dialog in the
"Generate Dataset Wizard".

I also tried Oracle client 9i on my machine and I got the same problem.

Our Oracle database is healthy. The problem is in my development machine.

Any suggestion?

Miha Markic [MVP C#]

Hi mike,

mike said:
Hi ADO Guru,

I have a problem when I use OleDbDataAdapter and try to generate DataSet for
Oracle. It is extremely slow.

my environmnet:
VS.NET 2003, Oracle client 8i, OleDbDataAdapter, WinForm(C#)

Creating a new OleDbDataAdapter is always about 40 seconds.

40s? There is something horribly wrong.
What is your code?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & software development
miha at rthand com

Creating a

Cor

HI Miha,

I first thought it was directed directly to you but then I saw it was for an
ADO guru, not an ADONET guru

(Or are you that also)

:)))))

Cor

mike

Hi Miha,

It is very simple to dupliate this problem on my machine:

0. Create a OleDBProvider for Oracle connection
1. New a C# Winform
2. Drag "OleDbDataAdapter" to the form, and in the query use "Select * from
MyTable"
3. Then create the adapter is about 40 seconds.
4. Create a DataSet is about 2-3 minutes.

We have another machine with same problem.

Mike

Miha Markic said:
Hi mike,

mike said:
[...]

Hi Cor,

Cor said:
HI Miha,

I first thought it was directed directly to you but then I saw it was for an
ADO guru, not an ADONET guru
LOL

(Or are you that also)

Acutally, I do have "some" experience with ado(.netless).

:))

Miha Markic [MVP C#]

Hi mike,

Ok, so it is design time problem.
How many records are in that table, btw?

--

mike said:
Hi Miha,

It is very simple to dupliate this problem on my machine:

0. Create a OleDBProvider for Oracle connection
1. New a C# Winform
2. Drag "OleDbDataAdapter" to the form, and in the query use "Select * from
MyTable"
3. Then create the adapter is about 40 seconds.
4. Create a DataSet is about 2-3 minutes.

We have another machine with same problem.

Mike

Miha Markic said:
Hi mike,

mike said:
[...]

There are just about 40 records in it.

It is not record size related issue. I am using Windows 2000 with Service
pack 3

Mike

mike said:
Hi Miha,

It is very simple to dupliate this problem on my machine:

0. Create a OleDBProvider for Oracle connection
1. New a C# Winform
2. Drag "OleDbDataAdapter" to the form, and in the query use "Select * from
MyTable"
3. Then create the adapter is about 40 seconds.
4. Create a DataSet is about 2-3 minutes.

We have another machine with same problem.

Mike

Miha Markic said:
Hi mike,

[...]

That's just weird. I suggest you to try pinpointing the problem.
IOW look at the differences between healthy macines and those with problems.

--

"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
Hi mike,

Hi ADO Guru,

I have a problem when I use OleDbDataAdapter and try to generate DataSet
for
Oracle. It is extremely slow.

my environmnet:
VS.NET 2003, Oracle client 8i, OleDbDataAdapter, WinForm(C#)

Creating a new OleDbDataAdapter is always about 40 seconds.

40s? There is something horribly wrong.
What is your code?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & software development
miha at rthand com
www.rthand.com

Creating a
DataSet is much slower and the speed is depend on how many
DataSets
I dialog
in

mike

Miha,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I found out that problem is at our Oracle Database. It is oracle 8i running
on UNIX. We created a instance of it and put it to a XP machine and my
dataset creating is very fast now.

We still have no clue which parameter we could turn up at UNIX Oracle. But
we have a walkaround.

Thanks for all your help
Mike