Geforce 7800 GTX question!!!Please HELP!!

Reaction score
Ahoy there, my first post. At the risk of sounding a complete noob I have one small question to ask.

I just got a new system and installed everything and it is ready for start up when I get home. My question relates to the Geforce 7800 GTX cards (mine came without a user guide!!), do they require their own connection to the PSU? I ask because I want to make sure I set it up right and have all the right wires etc and don't feck up my new computa! I know they require a connection to the main board in an SLI set up but there is a pile of wires and the card has a 6 pin socket at the back, just wondering if these are for an SLI set up also (there is no wire I can find that would fit). Appreciate any info, tips etc on this subject from your vast fountain of knowledge.

Just to add, it is a single card setup, my m/board is the Asus A8n SLI premium and my psu is http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=123

Cheers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yup, a sold as "SLI PSU" will have 6pin power conectors, two in fact ...

"On the other end of the card is auxiliary power connector, ready to accept a six-pronged BTX-style plug, as included on most new power supplies. BFG also throws in a Y adapter that will convert two four-pin Molex connectors into one six-pin aux power connector."

Don't go pluging in any old conector ... change the PSU or get a Y adaptor.

Worst thing that will happen, with no power to the card, PC won't boot up.

;)

Reaction score
LOL, thanks. I just looked in the massive box of cables I now have since getting the system there is two adapters that have the 6 pin socket on them, both accept the standard 4 pin power connections - I should be safe with that. So it needs two 4 pin connections?! jeez.

I alread have about 2 adapters on the go for the monitor and the 24 pin power cable. Seems it was a bad choice for a PSU, got it before the system because my old case needed a new one. I got a case with a side window but i wish I had not bothered now cos it is an almighty mess, power wires all over the place and about 6 fans running, ah well just as well the PSU is 560 W.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Won't hurt to get an SLI PSU and keep the other as a spare ... if you have a spare, you never need it. :D

Glad you got the right cables.

Ask a Question