Bargain Geeker: Bargain hunter product search thingy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've spent the last few days building a computer hardware product search tool thingy, because I got sick of spending ages trawling through Dabs, etc. for computer bits. It keeps track of prices and so can flag up bargains as they appear. You can also sign up for email alerts for the default search (bargains) or for a search of your choice.

Hopefully you'll find it useful, as I have. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've given the site the slightly dubious name of http://www.geeker.co.uk/!

Cheers,

Andy

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Now thats pretty darn good! good job man, you'll be saving people money from all over the UK ;).

Very handy site to have on my favourites :).

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
Now thats pretty darn good! good job man, you'll be saving people money from all over the UK ;).

Very handy site to have on my favourites :).
Glad you like it!

I've added a bookmarklet thingy on the FAQ page, so you can search the site easily from your links bar.

I've just updated all the products as well, so there are some new bargains in there. One that I'm particularly pleased with is the Belkin 802.11g USB adaptor for 25 quid, as I was planning to buy one for my girl.

Ultimately the product update will run nightly, but I'm still keeping it in check until I'm fully happy with it.

Andy

http://www.geeker.co.uk/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good andy! Just out of interest, are you interfacing directly with these stores sites, or have you written a clever spidering program?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Looks good andy! Just out of interest, are you interfacing directly with these stores sites, or have you written a clever spidering program?
Tis a little bit of both!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Tell us more about this spidering and interfacing.......

Gabriella x

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

We are all listening! :)

PS Gabriella, nice to see you around! We missed ya ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Spidering is what google and other search engines do, they "crawl" the internet - visiting sites to add to a database.

That is about all I know, thats why I was so interested too :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Spidering is what google and other search engines do, they "crawl" the internet - visiting sites to add to a database.

That is about all I know, thats why I was so interested too :)

Hi all,

Well, the site interfaces directly with certain retailer sites via product feeds - basically just web pages with the product data in a certain format. Other retailers are scanned Google-style, and the product data extracted. It's still early days, so if you do encounter any problems, do let me know.

Thanks!

Andy

--
Hardware product search and bargain finder
http://www.geeker.co.uk/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How often does the database update Andy? Lots of the prices seem to have changed and old stock seems to still be in the database.

Its a pity as you seem to have a global price sort feature which I dont think exists anywhere else!

Reaction score
andyt said:
Hi all,

I've spent the last few days building a computer hardware product search tool thingy, because I got sick of spending ages trawling through Dabs, etc. for computer bits. It keeps track of prices and so can flag up bargains as they appear. You can also sign up for email alerts for the default search (bargains) or for a search of your choice.

Hopefully you'll find it useful, as I have. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've given the site the slightly dubious name of http://www.geeker.co.uk/!

Cheers,

Andy

Excellent site.
I take chances with a consumer site that shows weekly deals for computer and electronic products www.cusbiz.com

Ask a Question