gateway MP8708, battery will not charge

doc

Reaction score
My Gateway laptop MP8708, battery will not charge. I ran it completely down (red indicator light) a few weeks ago while burning a C-D, it went down fairly quickly(15-20 min. total run), although I don't know how charged it was? I kept it constantly plugged into A/C after that, while in use or off for a few weeks, (w/purple charging light); after 2 weeks the charging indicator went to blue, indicating charged, but that was the last time. I have since run it very breifly on the battery and it has since always shown to be charging and has warned of a low battery. The indicator in the past would show charged quickly after a minimal use period predictably while using A/C.

I normally use the A/C adapter and briefly or accidently use the battery only on occasion. It did keep powered fine for 3 or 4 hours a few months ago

I have since found out about the need to run the BIOS to condition the 8-cell-LI-ION, however as far as I know this was unfortunately not ever mentioned in any of the original documentation.

I have tried to BIOS condition the thing 3 times:

1- The first was for 3 or 4 hours, it started at 19% charge and 3% completed and went to 3% charge 3% completed; I shut it off to use the computer before completion. [/font]

2- Started at 3% charge and 3% completed and went to 1% charge 0% completed; after 7 hrs. I shut it off before completion.

3- started at 1% charge and 1% completed and went to 3% charge 1% completed; I shut it off after 12 hours, again before completion.

I have heard some have had luck with flashing or updating their BIOS to get the battery back on track, there is an update available. I am on 72.09 w/XP currently, the update would be 72.14 for XP/Vista, (and may be intended for a planned upgrade to Vista??, which I am not planning on doing).

I also wonder if I could cause some other problems unnecessarily, by flashing or upgrading a possibly fine working BIOS?

My DVD/CD burner also went a few days ago: no spin or recognizing media, just clicks.

I id order another A/C adapter, just in case it is not producing enough power. I probably should have borrowed a meter and checked the old one first.

If you have any insight or experience on any of this I would appreciate hearing from you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Doc...
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Between each condition period are you removing the battery to let it cool down ?Try again, but this time when the light shows charged, remove the battery for about 10 minutes or until cool. It's going to be slow and long winded,but you'll get there.

doc

Reaction score
Hi Madxgraphics, thanks for the reply. However the battery has not charged fully in a week it does not seem to be getting anywhere at all, it has been out for a half hour and reinserted and shows still only 2%. It seems conditioning it,may have killed it. I realize now that the process takes it down to nothing or close to nothing?, to start Unless it wants to get down to 0 in the BIOS mode it just does not seem to be moving along, it was in that mode all last night. If you know anything further, please re-read my post on the process of what has happened, I have some other questions there also. Thanks again.

Ask a Question