Gates' donation to fight AIDS in Africa

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Gates' donation to fight AIDS in Africa

Source Reuters

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates has donated $900,000 to set up a training facility for health professionals working with AIDS in Africa's Great Lakes region.

On a low-profile visit to Rwanda on Sunday and Monday, Gates offered the funds to set up the Center for Training and Operation Research to serve five nations: Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

"Such support from well-wishers will go a long way in helping developing countries achieve much in the war against the scourge," Dr. Agnes Binagwaho, executive secretary of Rwanda's National Aids Commission, said late Wednesday.

Sub-Saharan Africa remains the region hardest-hit by AIDS, with about 25 million people infected. Binagwaho told Reuters that 3 percent of Rwanda's 8 million people had HIV.

The ultra-modern facility will be run from Kigali by international experts under the coordination of Rwanda's AIDS Treatment and Research Center, the official added.

Gates, the world's wealthiest man and a major international philanthropist, was in Africa on a holiday with his wife Melinda and children, Rwandan officials said.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announced on Wednesday grants worth $287 million to create an international network of 16 labs to try new approaches for making a vaccine against AIDS

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ya know, I don't really like him (Gates), but that's a good thing him and his wife are doing.

But, I do wonder, just how many days interest is $900,000 against his fortune?

Sorry to appear cynical, all help is good, but if he really meant it, it would be a bigger donation.

In the late seventies, Bill Gates, then just a penniless prick like the rest of us, used to phone/e-mail my mate Tim in Erith to get his views on his DOS development. Tim used to help him and offer suggestions. For free.

Tim is still relatively poor, Bill gates is the richest man in the world.

Tim never received a cent for his help, he just had the satisfaction of knowing he helped.

That is the difference between a geek and a breadhead.

Bill Gates was that that rare combination, both geek and breadhead. Dangerous. Or lucky, depending on your POV ;)