Function Error

D

Diane

Can someone please help me with this function? I am trying to do a nested IF
function with three IF options (Circle, Triangle, Square).
I am trying to get Excel to automatically calculate an area (in sq ft) based
on its dimensions, broken up according to the shape of the room.

Rather than using multiple columns to do this, though, I want to consolidate
it into an easy-to-read form for the user, such that the "Shape" column is a
drop-down, validated to include Circle, Triangle, & Square. I want the "Area"
column to calculate the area of the space based on the shape selected. The
values for the formula dimensions will be captured in Length (FT & IN), Width
(FT & IN), and Radius (FT & IN).

This is the function that I've created, but it is giving me a general error.

=IF(A1="Circleâ€,=(PI()*((G9+H9/12)/2)^2))),IF(A1="Triangle",=(((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))/2),IF(A1="Square",=((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))))

Any help regarding how to fix my formula would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

B

Bernard Liengme

Just a few extra equal signs (as far as I can see)
=IF(A1="Circle",(PI()*((G9+H9/12)/2)^2))),IF(A1="Triangle",(((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))/2),IF(A1="Square",((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))))
We could also remove some redundant parentheses
=IF(A1="Circle",PI()*((G9+H9/12)/2)^2,IF(A1="Triangle",(C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12)/2,IF(A1="Square",(C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))))I would used one cell for each dimension and formatted it with # ?/12In this way I would type, for example, 4 4/12 for 4 feet and 3 inchesbest wishes--Bernard V LiengmeMicrosoft Excel MVPhttp://people.stfx.ca/bliengmeremove caps from email"Diane" <[email protected]> wrote in messageCan someone please help me with this function? I am trying to do a nestedIF> function with three IF options (Circle, Triangle, Square).> I am trying to get Excel to automatically calculate an area (in sq ft)based> on its dimensions, broken up according to the shape of the room.>> Rather than using multiple columns to do this, though, I want toconsolidate> it into an easy-to-read form for the user, such that the "Shape" column isa> drop-down, validated to include Circle, Triangle, & Square. I want the"Area"> column to calculate the area of the space based on the shape selected. The> values for the formula dimensions will be captured in Length (FT & IN),Width> (FT & IN), and Radius (FT & IN).>> This is the function that I've created, but it is giving me a generalerror.>> =IF(A1="Circle",=(PI()*((G9+H9/12)/2)^2))),IF(A1="Triangle",=(((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))/2),IF(A1="Square",=((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))))>> Any help regarding how to fix my formula would be greatly appreciated.>> Thank you!> --> Diane

B

Bob Umlas

without looking deeply, what's wrong is the embedded "=" inside the formala.
There should be only 1 at the beginning:
=IF(A1="Circle",(PI()*((G9+H9/12)/2)^2))),IF(A1="Triangle",(((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))/2),IF(A1="Square",((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))))

F

Farhad

Hi,

you should just delete all equal sign (=) within your formula like below:

=IF(A1="Circleâ€,(PI()*((G9+H9/12)/2)^2))),IF(A1="Triangle",(((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))/2),IF(A1="Square",((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))))

if it helped please hit yes.

Thanks

S

Shane Devenshire

Hi,

If you only have these three possibillites you can simplify the formula to

=IF(A1="Circle",PI()*((G9+H9/12)/2)^2,((C9+D9/12)*(E9+F9/12))/IF(A1="Triangle",2,1))

The area of a triangle is 1/2 the area of the square.

Ask a Question