Frontpage 2003 says "500 ST not understood" what is this?

I can't find anything in the web site I built named "500 ST" but when I
attempt to publish I get an error that says "500 ST not understood"

Well I don't understand!
Thanks for any help!

Tom Pepper Willett

"how" are you attempting to publish it? Please give us the full steps and
the path you are using to your remote server.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
|I can't find anything in the web site I built named "500 ST" but when I
| attempt to publish I get an error that says "500 ST not understood"
|
| Well I don't understand!
| Thanks for any help!

I am using the Publish site option from the File menu in Frontpage 2003
the path to the server is:
ftp://web2.thisismyserver.net/thereddragonsden.com

When I selected the "Use passive FTP" it made some progress and began
uploading the web site (over a web site I had previously built in Frontpage
98~ but my server no longer supposrts frontpage 98 so I upgraded) But I am
unsure what is meant by "passive FTP" and the web page only partially loaded~
after a few moments it informed me that my server was not supporting
Frontpage extensions (But I double checked and my server is set to accept
them) and then it published some of the web page and then it told me that :

"Could not find a Web server at 'web2.thisismyserver.net' on port 21. Please
check to make sure that the Web server name is valid and your proxy settings
are set correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the Web server
may be temporarily out of service."

But again~ I checked and the server is in service.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Kevin Spencer

The error message comes from the FTP server on the host. It indicates a
dropped packet, as the POST command is the FTP command to post a file to the
server, and the message is only displaying "ST" from the POST command. FTP
is a very unreliable protocol, and apparently FrontPage doesn't handle that
reply very well. A software package such as WS_FTP would retry the POST.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Tom Pepper Willett

I've seen some suggestions to use "active" instead of "passive" on other
forums.

--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
About FrontPage 2003:
http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
FrontPage 2003 Product Information:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
Understanding FrontPage:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
===
| The error message comes from the FTP server on the host. It indicates a
| dropped packet, as the POST command is the FTP command to post a file to
the
| server, and the message is only displaying "ST" from the POST command. FTP
| is a very unreliable protocol, and apparently FrontPage doesn't handle
that
| reply very well. A software package such as WS_FTP would retry the POST.
|
| --
| HTH,
|
| Kevin Spencer
| Microsoft MVP
| .Net Developer
| Neither a follower nor a lender be.

message
| | >I am using the Publish site option from the File menu in Frontpage 2003
| > the path to the server is:
| > ftp://web2.thisismyserver.net/thereddragonsden.com
| >
| > When I selected the "Use passive FTP" it made some progress and began
| > uploading the web site (over a web site I had previously built in
| > Frontpage
| > 98~ but my server no longer supposrts frontpage 98 so I upgraded) But I
| > am
| > unsure what is meant by "passive FTP" and the web page only partially
| > loaded~
| > after a few moments it informed me that my server was not supporting
| > Frontpage extensions (But I double checked and my server is set to
accept
| > them) and then it published some of the web page and then it told me
that
| > :
| >
| > "Could not find a Web server at 'web2.thisismyserver.net' on port 21.
| > Please
| > check to make sure that the Web server name is valid and your proxy
| > settings
| > are set correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the Web
| > server
| > may be temporarily out of service."
| >
| > But again~ I checked and the server is in service.
| >
| > Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
| >
| > "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:
| >
| >> "how" are you attempting to publish it? Please give us the full steps
| >> and
| >> the path you are using to your remote server.
| >> --
| >> ===
| >> Tom "Pepper" Willett
| >> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| >> ---
| >> About FrontPage 2003:
| >> http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
| >> FrontPage 2003 Product Information:
| >> http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
| >> Understanding FrontPage:
| >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
| >> FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions Support Center:
| >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;fp10se
| >> ===
| >> message

Thank you both very much.
I did get it posted using WS_FTP but I didn't want to have to use that. I
invested in FrontPage 2003 so I could update and maintain the site all from
the one convenient program. If I'd known I would have to use a seperate FTP
I would not have wasted my money updating my frontpage 98 to 2003.

I will keep playing with it and hopefully get it figured out. Thank you
both for the advice

Thomas A. Rowe

FP give you the most benefit when you work with a server that has the FP extensions. No version of
FP have been able to work with every FTP server application available.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

John Kisha

You said that your web host no longer supports FrontPage 98. Does he
support FrontPage 2000-2003? If so, you should use web publishing and
not FTP. You probably already know this, but the way you mentioned FP98,
I just thought I'd double-check.

John Kisha
Inland Pacific Consulting
http://www.VisitUsAt.com
323-463-8300
Posted At: Monday, January 10, 2005 1:05 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Frontpage 2003 says "500 ST not understood" what is this?
Subject: Re: Frontpage 2003 says "500 ST not understood" what is this?

[...]

It would also be prudent for the OP to contact the remote web host and ask
about the problems.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett