Frequent random system freezes

Richard

From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
Subject: Frequent random system freezes
Date: 17 February 2004 16:58

Frequent random system freezes

Very frequently, several times in a session, my laptop freezes up & responds
to nothing except switching off power supply - very frustrating as it's my
only computer. It's virus-free according to Norton AV with latest
definitions (when it can stay on long enough to complete a 45 minute scan),
kept clean with Spybot, Ad-aware and Disk Cleaner (Windows' Disc cleanup
doesn't work anymore), defragged monthly, RAM OK (according to MemTest) and
the fan works fine.

I kept a log of the freezes - they are random re which programs are running
and times, except some are 5 minutes apart. Times coincide with "Error"
entries in the Event Viewer log, which show each as "Source - Service
Control Manager", Event number 7000, and "The OFB service failed to start
due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. For
more information, see Help and Support Centre at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp" (which has no info).

I've been gradually repairing the damage to the system left by the DLL
Archive program which was supposed to remove redundant DLL files but removed
many essential Windows files without which things wouldn't start, didn't
restore them properly, and didn't keep a list of their original locations
making manual restoration a guessing game. Could it be another missing file,
and if so which one and where does it go...?

Can anyone help?

Richard

Richard

PS: Forgot to say the OS is Windows XP with SP1 and with all the latest
Microsoft updates. My laptop (Sony PCG FX601) has CPU 1.1GHz and RAM 256MB.

Thanks