Freeware to convert .WMA, .OGG to .MP3

Wishmaster

Hello,

I want to play some music in my DVD player (connected to an amplifier), but
it only supports MP3 audio files in fixed bit rate (no variable bit rates)
and is picky about bitrates (ideal is 128 or 192Kbps).

Since I have a few OGG and WMA songs here, I'm looking for a good, free
converter to .mp3. And to re-encode variable bit rate files into fixed bit
rates.

What do you suggest for this operation?

Maynard Man

I downloaded it the other day, still freeware to basic conversions. It's if
you want to do Tag adjustments and bits that they want your money.

Susan Bugher

Wishmaster said:
But didn't dbPowerAmp became shareware (i.e. require registration after
30 days)? I remember reading this somewhere.

If so, where can the last freeware version - that is fully free - be found?

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005MULTIMEDIA.php#0898-PW

dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC)
(Freeware) (v 10.1)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Other OS: Linux (using Wine)
Languages: English
Audio CDs and store in a multitude of formats, dMC is the Fastest CD Ripper and now AccurateRip
Compatible. Convert from one format to another, just about every audio type is supported: mp3, mp4,
Windows Media Audio (wma), Ogg Vorbis, AAC, Monkeys Audio, FLAC and many others [Codec downloads],
whilst preserving ID Tags. Volume Normalize audio files, Windows Explorer Integration - right click
Convert To & popup useful information on audio files (such as bitrate, length). ID tag editing
[Power Pack Option], Record from LPs or anything [optional Auxiliary Input install], NOTES: v 10.1
is the last version with a free mp3 encoder
Company: -- Author: Illustrate
Home Page:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com
download v 10.1 (2004-01) (dMC-r10.exe) (1484 KB)
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/dMC-r10.exe

2005PL CD files: dMC-r10.exe
(desc. rev.: 2005-01-04)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com.gr/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

mikesgruv

Susan said:
Wishmaster said:
[...]

As I understood it, what changed was their ability to use the mp3
codec, because the codec itself is proprietary. Its possible that the
LAME codec that was included with the earlier versions would still
work. You'd have to look around for someone who had it.