Freecom 120GB extranal USB drive.. problems

alo

I have a 120GB Freecom 2.5" 'mobile drive' USB2.

It works fine on all the computers I have plugged it into except the
one I want it to work with.

This machine a HP server running Windows 2003 will not pick the drive
up on any of the USB ports I plug it into. The server will pick up
other USB devices but not this one.

Using an exterior powered USB hub (picked up by the server) brings the
same result... no sign of the Freecom drive.

The drive has the facility to be powered from the mains, but as yet I
do not have a power source... but will this cure the problem, or just
waste more money?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Arno Wagner

Previously alo said:
I have a 120GB Freecom 2.5" 'mobile drive' USB2.
It works fine on all the computers I have plugged it into except the
one I want it to work with.
This machine a HP server running Windows 2003 will not pick the drive
up on any of the USB ports I plug it into. The server will pick up
other USB devices but not this one.
Using an exterior powered USB hub (picked up by the server) brings the
same result... no sign of the Freecom drive.
The drive has the facility to be powered from the mains, but as yet I
do not have a power source... but will this cure the problem, or just
waste more money?

Does it spin-up? If it does, then it gets enough power. If not,
then there is your issue. However the hub should provide enough
power, so I expect the problem is somewhere else.

Arno

mscotgrove

The USB specification provides 0.5A per port, but 2.5" drives require 1A.
Most desktops put two ports on a single 1.2A fuse, but you server likely has 0.6A.

Does the computer recognise the fact a USB device has been plugged in
- it normally makes a 'Ding Dong' sound. No Ding Dong would suggest
that the extra power is required.

There can occasionally be conflicts with mapped, network drives, or
Subst drives masking a real drive on the same drive letter.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com

Squeeze

Does the computer recognise the fact a USB device has been plugged in
- it normally makes a 'Ding Dong' sound. No Ding Dong would suggest
that the extra power is required.

There can occasionally be conflicts with mapped, network drives, or
Subst drives masking a real drive on the same drive letter.

You are in the wrong post.

Squeeze

Eric Gisin wrote in news:[email protected]
The USB specification provides 0.5A per port, but 2.5" drives require 1A.

What idiot company sells a 2.5" drive that draws more power than the specification supports and not supply a seperate USB powercord?
Most desktops put two ports on a single 1.2A fuse, but you server likely has 0.6A.

They must be self repairing fuses or other devices would not work afterwards.