Fractional Number Value in a field

G

I'm trying to add a field that would have a fractional number value. For example, 5.5 or 3.5. The problem is that the field would round up to the nearest value after I tab over to the next field. So instead of 5.5 it would default to 6.0. How can I keep that from happening? I've used the "General Number", "Standard", and "Fixed" format using either 1 or 2 decimals. I have the table in the same settings too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
maria

F

fredg

I'm trying to add a field that would have a fractional number value. For example, 5.5 or 3.5. The problem is that the field would round up to the nearest value after I tab over to the next field. So instead of 5.5 it would default to 6.0. How can I keep that from happening? I've used the "General Number", "Standard", and "Fixed" format using either 1 or 2 decimals. I have the table in the same settings too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
maria

The Field Number size is an Integer or Long.
Change it to a size that supports decimals, i.e. double, currency,
etc.
By definition, an integer cannot have a decimal value.

J

John Vinson

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:13:01 -0700, "Maria K" <Maria
I'm trying to add a field that would have a fractional number value. For example, 5.5 or 3.5. The problem is that the field would round up to the nearest value after I tab over to the next field. So instead of 5.5 it would default to 6.0. How can I keep that from happening? I've used the "General Number", "Standard", and "Fixed" format using either 1 or 2 decimals.

The problem is the field type. The default Number datatype is Long
Integer - which *is an integer*, that is to say a whole number.

Select the field in table design view and look at the bottom of the
screen; change the size from Long Integer to either Float or Double.
Or, perhaps better if you don't want roundoff error and can get by
with exactly four decimal places, use a Currency datatype rather than
any sort of Number datatype.

Ask a Question