FP2K3: Adding a Server to my Site?

V

Vagabond Software

I have web-space in two places. These are 5MB of free space included with my Road Runner broadband account and an almost unlimited amount of space on my in-house IIS 6.0 server running on Windows Server 2003.

Port 80 is not blocked by Road Runner. However, I neither want to abuse this nor raise any red flags at Road Runner.

So, I am creating all my freely available public pages on my Road Runner web space, but I want to store any significant images (>50K in size) or download files on my personal server.

How do add my server to my site in Frontpage?

carl

T

Thomas A. Rowe

That will raise a flag and you would have to have a static IP address for your web server, which you
would then create a absolute URL to, however will then open your server for hacking.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

I have web-space in two places. These are 5MB of free space included with my Road Runner broadband
account and an almost unlimited amount of space on my in-house IIS 6.0 server running on Windows
Server 2003.

Port 80 is not blocked by Road Runner. However, I neither want to abuse this nor raise any red
flags at Road Runner.

So, I am creating all my freely available public pages on my Road Runner web space, but I want to
store any significant images (>50K in size) or download files on my personal server.

How do add my server to my site in Frontpage?

carl

V

Vagabond Software

Thomas A. Rowe said:
That will raise a flag and you would have to have a static IP address for your web server, which you
would then create a absolute URL to, however will then open your server for hacking.

--

It wouldn't really raise a flag. I did it with IIS 5.0 on my Windows 2000 server, but I was hosting all of my sites from my server and not utilizing the RR home pages at all. Besides, I can always limit bandwidth usage and/or the number of connections on the IIS 6.0 server if I wish.

Also, though I do not have a guaranteed static IP address, mine is basically a static IP address. It has not changed since I got it in February 2001. I'm also pretty good at keeping my systems up-to-date and secured and never suffered any vulnerabilities or hacks in over 18 months of using IIS 5.0. I'm also going to experiment with granting access only to my internal LAN ip group and the RR home page server, but I haven't tested or even fully decided on that.

carl

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Carl, if you have a lot of large files being downloaded, and RR happen to run a check on network
traffic, they would see it, which could result in your account being cancelled if a residential
account or being switch to a commercial account at higher rates.

If you have a commercial account, then most likely you would not have a problem with hosting a
server.

Each cable internet provider has different terms, so maybe it is not an issue with RR.

Just because your IP hasn't changed and you haven't been hacked so far, doesn't mean that either can
not happen, just that you have been lucky.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Thomas A. Rowe said:
That will raise a flag and you would have to have a static IP address for your web server, which
you

--

It wouldn't really raise a flag. I did it with IIS 5.0 on my Windows 2000 server, but I was hosting
all of my sites from my server and not utilizing the RR home pages at all. Besides, I can always
limit bandwidth usage and/or the number of connections on the IIS 6.0 server if I wish.

Also, though I do not have a guaranteed static IP address, mine is basically a static IP address.
It has not changed since I got it in February 2001. I'm also pretty good at keeping my systems
up-to-date and secured and never suffered any vulnerabilities or hacks in over 18 months of using
IIS 5.0. I'm also going to experiment with granting access only to my internal LAN ip group and the
RR home page server, but I haven't tested or even fully decided on that.

carl

V

Vagabond Software

Thomas A. Rowe said:
Carl, if you have a lot of large files being downloaded, and RR happen to run a check on network
traffic, they would see it, which could result in your account being cancelled if a residential

If you have a commercial account, then most likely you would not have a problem with hosting a
server.

Each cable internet provider has different terms, so maybe it is not an issue with RR.

Just because your IP hasn't changed and you haven't been hacked so far, doesn't mean that either can

--

I understand what you're saying and understand the risks. Perhaps I have been lucky, but it is not all just due to luck. I do manage IT systems for several clients hosting their own web-sites, exchange servers, and remote access servers on various MS server platforms who have never been hacked or had a security breach.

Sure, it has been due to some luck that we have not fallen prey to a Microsoft vulnerability or shortcoming, but much credit must also go to a great deal of due diligence by myself and the folks on-site who stay informed and take the necessary precautions.

Now, are you saying the only way to add my server space to my Frontpage site is to simply create what is to create a sub-web on my server and link to that from my RR web, basically giving me two separate sites as far as Frontpage is concerned?

If that is the answer, then that's great. I just wanted to know what the best way to do it may be.

carl

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Carl,

Since you have experience in this area, then you should be ok. Now back to the real issue, just
create web on your local machine and then link to it from your RR web pages, it would be total
independent of the your RR site, but you can have the same look and feel.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Thomas A. Rowe said:

server.

Just because your IP hasn't changed and you haven't been hacked so far, doesn't mean that either
can

--

I understand what you're saying and understand the risks. Perhaps I have been lucky, but it is not
all just due to luck. I do manage IT systems for several clients hosting their own web-sites,
exchange servers, and remote access servers on various MS server platforms who have never been
hacked or had a security breach.

Sure, it has been due to some luck that we have not fallen prey to a Microsoft vulnerability or
shortcoming, but much credit must also go to a great deal of due diligence by myself and the folks
on-site who stay informed and take the necessary precautions.

Now, are you saying the only way to add my server space to my Frontpage site is to simply create
what is to create a sub-web on my server and link to that from my RR web, basically giving me two
separate sites as far as Frontpage is concerned?

If that is the answer, then that's great. I just wanted to know what the best way to do it may be.

carl

Ask a Question