FP 2003 . . . I can't find ANY thing to help me add a discussion board

G

The only thing in FP 2003 that even mentions discussion or message boards is a screen that tells you how to customize current boards. In the templates, in the search, in the help - I cannot find anything that tells me how to create a NEW discussion board
Could somebody please walk me through this? Starting at the point where I just opened up my Frontpage and that's it. Nothing has been created. Starting from a blank screen. So I go to "file" and hit "new" and then . . . . . . Please, please, please somebody help

I've got a website already designed and up and running. I just want to add a basic discussion board to it. THANKS

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Agree FP Help is no Help at all here

First make sure your host supports subwebs
- A DW should be in a subweb so that future publishing of your root web does not affect the DW new posts (plus the DW is a Web
template, not a page template, and should be a stand alone web)
Also If your host supports subwebs w/ unique permissions you can make the DW a restricted web in the DW Wizard Setup (users require
a USER Id and Password to enter it)
When done creating the subweb, you can add an External nav bar Link (or hyperlink) from the root to the subweb
- If your host does not support subwebs you can add it to the root web but you will probably eventually end up w/ a corrupt DW

If your Host supports Subwebs:
Open your root web/site in FP (say C:\MyWeb)
Create a folder under the root,(say forum)
- select the root and right click it to select New -> Folder, then rename the folder
Right click the folder forum and select Convert to a Web (subweb) & OK
Double click the new web folder forum to open it in FP
Select File New and the More Web site templates option
- under the General tab
Select the Discussion Web Wizard, and the Add to Current Web Site Option, OK
Follow the Wizard to Finish the DW,
- read the options carefully because you can't change many of them later!
Use the defaults except:
- The Descriptive Title
- Select the TOC to be the home page if you will not make your own
Recommend you apply a Theme the the DW to provide a "formatted" look to your DW Site
- many page generated by the server will only be formatted by a theme
When done editing any TEXT on the pages, add a relative hyperlink on the home page back to your root web and save all pages, then
run a Tools Recalculate Hyperlinks

To Publish your DW select File Publish Site
- warning make sure you enter the correct SUBWEB URL, not your ROOT web URL
Select the FP SE option and enter the Remote Site Location SUBWEB URL as
http://www.yourmainsite.com/forum/ and then OK when ready
(also on the Publish Tab set the option to Publish All)

When done publishing view your site

In the future Only Edit your DW online in FP
- Never publish it from local to remote again (or you will reset it deleting all posts!)
To edit the DW online in FP use File Open Site and enter the Subweb URL as
http://www.yourmainsite.com/forum/
For more instructions on editing a DW see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196126&Product=fp2002
(process is the same for FP2003 as for FP2002)
--

| The only thing in FP 2003 that even mentions discussion or message boards is a screen that tells you how to customize current
boards. In the templates, in the search, in the help - I cannot find anything that tells me how to create a NEW discussion board.
| Could somebody please walk me through this? Starting at the point where I just opened up my Frontpage and that's it. Nothing has
been created. Starting from a blank screen. So I go to "file" and hit "new" and then . . . . . . Please, please, please somebody
help!
|
| I've got a website already designed and up and running. I just want to add a basic discussion board to it. THANKS

Ask a Question