FP 2003-advice needed on browser compatibility-Autostretch and centering

G

I have a theme applied to a DWT which is then attached to a page. One of the editable regions of the page has a table that is centered in FP2003 code, and the layout table containing the entire DWT has the rightmost column Autostretch, so that, in IE6, the page looks OK. Netscape 7 however doesn't appear to recognise the autostretch, nor the centering of the table. Could some kind soul help a newbie, please? Is there a way to optimize the code so Netscape (and others) recognise those features?

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Provide a URL to the page
- your table should be set to 100% and the last column should not have any size settings

--

| I have a theme applied to a DWT which is then attached to a page. One of the editable regions of the page has a table that is
centered in FP2003 code, and the layout table containing the entire DWT has the rightmost column Autostretch, so that, in IE6, the
page looks OK. Netscape 7 however doesn't appear to recognise the autostretch, nor the centering of the table. Could some kind
soul help a newbie, please? Is there a way to optimize the code so Netscape (and others) recognise those features?

G

Thanks Stefan - see http://preferredcountry.com/Anteroom - layout table is 100% - set to autostretch in the last column. Not sure if there any size settings. default.htm gets its structure, styles and all content apart from main body from a dwt.

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: -----

Provide a URL to the page
- your table should be set to 100% and the last column should not have any size settings

--

| I have a theme applied to a DWT which is then attached to a page. One of the editable regions of the page has a table that is
centered in FP2003 code, and the layout table containing the entire DWT has the rightmost column Autostretch, so that, in IE6, the
page looks OK. Netscape 7 however doesn't appear to recognise the autostretch, nor the centering of the table. Could some kind
soul help a newbie, please? Is there a way to optimize the code so Netscape (and others) recognise those features?

S

Stefan B Rusynko

NN does not like mixed cell sizes (% & Px) or table/cell heights set to 100%
NN4.x does not like any inline styles in table/cell tags (doesn't even display the page)

In Code view remove ALL heights from your cells and tables that are set to 100% width or a px width, and delete All inline styles
from table and td tags

--

| Thanks Stefan - see http://preferredcountry.com/Anteroom - layout table is 100% - set to autostretch in the last column. Not sure
if there any size settings. default.htm gets its structure, styles and all content apart from main body from a dwt.
|
| ----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: -----
|
| Provide a URL to the page
| - your table should be set to 100% and the last column should not have any size settings
|
| --
|
| _____________________________________________
| SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| _____________________________________________
|
|
| | I have a theme applied to a DWT which is then attached to a page. One of the editable regions of the page has a table that
is
| centered in FP2003 code, and the layout table containing the entire DWT has the rightmost column Autostretch, so that, in
IE6, the
| page looks OK. Netscape 7 however doesn't appear to recognise the autostretch, nor the centering of the table. Could some
kind
| soul help a newbie, please? Is there a way to optimize the code so Netscape (and others) recognise those features?
|
|
|

G

Stefan - I'm pretty new, and very much appreciate your help - could you please give me some pointers on how to identify inline styles in "table and td tags"? I've read 'till my eyes are red the last two days, and have learned al ot, but there is still mostly grey mist out there... Is there some magic way to make inline styles stand out in code view

Also, since I began working with FP2003 last November (my first FP and first venture into web building - I'm just a simple physicist), I can NOT figure out how layout tables/tables really work in design view. I basically am aiming for a fixed width column on the left, with an autostretch on the right, but when fiddling around with cells, columns, rows and tables in design view (and just selecting the right one seems to be a black art if the item I want is grayed out in Tables|Select), invariably some property changes that I don't want to change, and a column that WAS autostretch is suddenly a fixed width, and a DWT that would expand with the height of the window is suddenly fixed... Eventually I can get things the way I want them, but it's mainly trial and error with adjusting properties of cells, columns etc... Maybe there's something I just don't get yet... Any site you could point me to where such difficulties with layout tables etc. are discussed would be most welcome

Regards

Dan

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Inline styles are anything you see in Code View that is or the form
style="..some formatting style in here......"
- caused by using the Format Style from the menus

What you call "autostretch" tables (tables that are 100% wide) are designed using % widths for table and cells rather than fixed
pixel widths
- the Table layout tool creates everything in Fixed Pixels so it will not create "autostretch" tables
To create a new "autostretch" table from the Menu Select
Table - Insert Table
- set your # of columns & rows plus set the width to 100%
- select the option to make that the default (and FP will remember you settings)
Right click your cell properties to set width (% preferable)
--

| Stefan - I'm pretty new, and very much appreciate your help - could you please give me some pointers on how to identify inline
styles in "table and td tags"? I've read 'till my eyes are red the last two days, and have learned al ot, but there is still mostly
grey mist out there... Is there some magic way to make inline styles stand out in code view?
|
| Also, since I began working with FP2003 last November (my first FP and first venture into web building - I'm just a simple
physicist), I can NOT figure out how layout tables/tables really work in design view. I basically am aiming for a fixed width
column on the left, with an autostretch on the right, but when fiddling around with cells, columns, rows and tables in design view
(and just selecting the right one seems to be a black art if the item I want is grayed out in Tables|Select), invariably some
property changes that I don't want to change, and a column that WAS autostretch is suddenly a fixed width, and a DWT that would
expand with the height of the window is suddenly fixed... Eventually I can get things the way I want them, but it's mainly trial
and error with adjusting properties of cells, columns etc... Maybe there's something I just don't get yet... Any site you could
point me to where such difficulties with layout tables etc. are discussed would be most welcome.
|
| Regards,
|
| Dan

G

Stefan: Really helpful stuff - many thanks. Is there a (relatively) quick way to take out inline styles and replace them with styles built into the theme that my DWT uses? Also, I've taken out all the heights from cells and tables set to 100% or px width (in my DWT), and NN 7.1 still has a fixed width for the rightmost column. I've applied the dwt to a blank page at http://preferredcountry.com/Anteroom/Structure_8_shortened.htm - if you have a moment can you see what's wrong? I haven't taken out the inline styles yet, - still trying to figure out how to build those in, as I said above..

Thanks a bunch

Dan Ellis

S

Stefan B Rusynko

You only have a couple inline styles left Find and edit them per below
Change <td style="text-align: center; border: 5px double #FF0000; padding: 0px">
to <td align="center">
Plus <p style="text-align: center"> to <p align="center"> and <p style="text-align: right"> to <p align="right">

Add a transparent .gif or spaces to any empty cells to keep them from collapsing
as in <td height="32"></td> to <td height="32">&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
- in general don't try to force cell heights since the height should be controlled by the content
(if you need a 32 px "spacer" row or column add a 32 px transparent .gif)

--

| Stefan: Really helpful stuff - many thanks. Is there a (relatively) quick way to take out inline styles and replace them with
styles built into the theme that my DWT uses? Also, I've taken out all the heights from cells and tables set to 100% or px width
(in my DWT), and NN 7.1 still has a fixed width for the rightmost column. I've applied the dwt to a blank page at
http://preferredcountry.com/Anteroom/Structure_8_shortened.htm - if you have a moment can you see what's wrong? I haven't taken out
the inline styles yet, - still trying to figure out how to build those in, as I said above...
|
| Thanks a bunch,
|
| Dan Ellis

G

Stefan - I made those changes, but NN still won't stretch the rightmost column to fit its window. I've fiddled about with code all morning, come to the conclusion I don't know enough about HTML, tables, columns, rows, cells etc. to be confident in what I'm doing, so I'm going to have lunch! After which I may have to do some further study or start afresh on the design of the page that will be my template. Thanks so much for your help and efforts - I guess I'm just too new to web design and coding to do what I want to do effectively as yet. I've undone quite a few efforts to get rid of mixed or fixed widths, heights etc, because unexpected bad things happened to the page when I made the changes that I "hoped" would get me there - all to no avail. Latest state of affairs is at http://preferredcountry.com/anteroom/default_copy3.htm, if you have time - maybe there's something really simple left that I just can't see. I've detached that copy from the DWT, so it's all editable

Thanks again

Dan Ellis

S

Stefan B Rusynko

You had malformed tables
- extra cells in wrong place
See http://sbrenjoy.bizland.com/tests/default_copy3.htm
Obviously missing your nav bars & banners and all images are in the root

You should be able to view source, copy that into a new page (and adjust image links)
--

| Stefan - I made those changes, but NN still won't stretch the rightmost column to fit its window. I've fiddled about with code
all morning, come to the conclusion I don't know enough about HTML, tables, columns, rows, cells etc. to be confident in what I'm
doing, so I'm going to have lunch! After which I may have to do some further study or start afresh on the design of the page that
will be my template. Thanks so much for your help and efforts - I guess I'm just too new to web design and coding to do what I want
to do effectively as yet. I've undone quite a few efforts to get rid of mixed or fixed widths, heights etc, because unexpected bad
things happened to the page when I made the changes that I "hoped" would get me there - all to no avail. Latest state of affairs is
at http://preferredcountry.com/anteroom/default_copy3.htm, if you have time - maybe there's something really simple left that I just
can't see. I've detached that copy from the DWT, so it's all editable.
|
| Thanks again,
|
| Dan Ellis

G

Again, Stefan, many many thanks for all your help. I'm truly grateful. I'm sending myself back to school to learn tables properly..

Dan Ellis

Ask a Question