FP '03 won't copy and convert my previous site pages and image fil

G

I recently installed FP '03 and have tried to copy and convert my current site (built on Homestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized in Photoshop). I tried to download my site from a copy on disc, but FP dispayed an error message saying it doesn't recognize the files. I tried to download my site from the web and only some of my pages and files were downloaded and when viewed they were a mess, with text navigation missalignment and X's in the image areas. I tried to copy my site's page and image files saved on my hard drive, but FP would not do it, again displaying the error message. I know my image files are jpegs and my page files are html, so why won't FP recognize and copy them?

J

JPKarlsen [FP MVP]

Use File | Import and select File System if the files are local or FTP if on a remote server. Using http doesn't guarantee that all files gets found. Make sure to preserve the folder structure.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.frontpage.client/<[email protected]>

I recently installed FP '03 and have tried to copy and convert my current site (built on Homestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized in Photoshop). I tried to download my site from a copy on disc, but FP dispayed an error message saying it doesn't recognize the files. I tried to download my site from the web and only some of my pages and files were downloaded and when viewed they were a mess, with text navigation missalignment and X's in the image areas. I tried to copy my site's page and image files saved on my hard drive, but FP would not do it, again displaying the error message. I know my image files are jpegs and my page files are html, so why won't FP recognize and copy them?

[microsoft.public.frontpage.client]

T

Tom Pepper Willett

The import function only imports what is seen by a browser, so shared
borders, include files, navigation structure, themes, asp pages, databases,
etc. are not imported.
--
=====================================================
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/

=====================================================
| Use File | Import and select File System if the files are local or FTP if
on a remote server. Using http doesn't guarantee that all files gets found.
Make sure to preserve the folder structure.
|
|
| Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
|
|
|
nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.frontpage.client/<[email protected]>
|
| I recently installed FP '03 and have tried to copy and convert my current
site (built on Homestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized
in Photoshop). I tried to download my site from a copy on disc, but FP
dispayed an error message saying it doesn't recognize the files. I tried to
download my site from the web and only some of my pages and files were
downloaded and when viewed they were a mess, with text navigation
missalignment and X's in the image areas. I tried to copy my site's page and
image files saved on my hard drive, but FP would not do it, again displaying
the error message. I know my image files are jpegs and my page files are
html, so why won't FP recognize and copy them?
|
| [microsoft.public.frontpage.client]

G

Thanks JP, I have already tried this but FP repeatedly says I need to verify the location and try again. I have tried it with all the file systems listed on the web download wizard, but the http system is the only one that worked yet many files weren't found. I am not quite sure how to transfer with FTP or if it would work with a Homestead built site. Could you explain the process? Do you know what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Chris

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Use a 3rd Party FTP application, open the site and then download all of the content to a folder on
your HD, then open the folder in FP.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

redwineartgallerycom said:
Thanks JP, I have already tried this but FP repeatedly says I need to verify the location and try
again. I have tried it with all the file systems listed on the web download wizard, but the http
system is the only one that worked yet many files weren't found. I am not quite sure how to transfer
with FTP or if it would work with a Homestead built site. Could you explain the process? Do you know
what I am doing wrong? Thanks, ChrisHomestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized in Photoshop). I tried to download my
site from a copy on disc, but FP dispayed an error message saying it doesn't recognize the files. I
tried to download my site from the web and only some of my pages and files were downloaded and when
viewed they were a mess, with text navigation missalignment and X's in the image areas. I tried to
copy my site's page and image files saved on my hard drive, but FP would not do it, again displaying
the error message. I know my image files are jpegs and my page files are html, so why won't FP
recognize and copy them?

G

Thanks said:
Use a 3rd Party FTP application, open the site and then download all of the content to a folder on

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Thanks JP, I have already tried this but FP repeatedly says I need to verify the location and try
again. I have tried it with all the file systems listed on the web download wizard, but the http
system is the only one that worked yet many files weren't found. I am not quite sure how to transfer
with FTP or if it would work with a Homestead built site. Could you explain the process? Do you know
what I am doing wrong? Thanks, ChrisHomestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized in Photoshop). I tried to download my
site from a copy on disc, but FP dispayed an error message saying it doesn't recognize the files. I
tried to download my site from the web and only some of my pages and files were downloaded and when
viewed they were a mess, with text navigation missalignment and X's in the image areas. I tried to
copy my site's page and image files saved on my hard drive, but FP would not do it, again displaying
the error message. I know my image files are jpegs and my page files are html, so why won't FP
recognize and copy them?

C

chris leeds

Inline:

--
The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/
--

Thanks Thomas, I will try that. Obviously, I am new to this. Do I need to
know a specific ftp address and root directory to do this?

just point the ftp program (or frontpage's ftp mode) to the domain and it
should trigger the username and password requirements. Poke around within
the folder structure to find your site. usually in /web or /root. copy
that folder down to your local machine.

I'm still not exactly sure what these are and how to acess them if needed.
I would ask Homestead, but have found that their support is usually slow (4
or five days) and useless. I bought FP '03 hoping that I could easily copy
and convert my site and then transfer web hosts.

you can.

Do you know why I can't copy my jpeg image files on my hard drive to FP?

How are you trying to do this?

FP wiil not recognize the files yet they are Adobe Photoshop optimized
jpegs.

It should recognize the pictures. with frontpage you sort of have to make a
"web". it's really easy just opening a folder by: file/ open web or "site"/
..... browse to the folder you want and open it. frontpage will ask if you
want to convert it to a web. select yes and it'll be converted.

then when you work on the web you've just converted the relative linking and
folder relationships will work. I think you're opening pages and not webs.

your best step would be to open your root folder as a web.

Any help is appreciated, thanks, Chris
Thomas said:

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

verify the location and try
what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Chris FTP if on a remote server.
Using http doesn't guarantee that all files gets found. Make sure to preserve the folder structure.
nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.frontpage.client/<552DD987-4FC7
(e-mail address removed)>
I recently installed FP '03 and have tried to copy and convert my
current site (built on
Homestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized in Photoshop). I tried to download my
recognize and copy them?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Only your host can tell you the exact path to your files.

If you have problem with your images, make sure that you save them from Photoshop as JPG in RGB
Color format, not CMYK Color format.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Thanks Thomas, I will try that. Obviously, I am new to this. Do I need to know a specific ftp
address and root directory to do this? I'm still not exactly sure what these are and how to acess
them if needed. I would ask Homestead, but have found that their support is usually slow (4 or five
days) and useless. I bought FP '03 hoping that I could easily copy and convert my site and then
transfer web hosts. Do you know why I can't copy my jpeg image files on my hard drive to FP? FP wiil
not recognize the files yet they are Adobe Photoshop optimized jpegs. Any help is appreciated,
thanks, Chris
Thomas said:

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Thanks JP, I have already tried this but FP repeatedly says I need to verify the location and
try
what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Chris
:

Use File | Import and select File System if the files are local or FTP if on a remote
server.
Using http doesn't guarantee that all files gets found. Make sure to preserve the folder structure.
nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.frontpage.client/ said:
I recently installed FP '03 and have tried to copy and convert my current site (built on
Homestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized in Photoshop). I tried to download my
recognize and copy them?

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

You're new to this? That's a good lookin' web, and a little complicated too.

I don't t think your jpgs are the problem. I just downloaded a few and they are normal - and there's a bunch of them!

Just for "grins" what happens when you choose Edit (with FP) from your Browser toolbar?

| Thanks Thomas, I will try that. Obviously, I am new to this. Do I need to know a specific ftp address and root directory to do this? I'm still not exactly sure what these are and how to acess them if needed. I would ask Homestead, but have found that their support is usually slow (4 or five days) and useless. I bought FP '03 hoping that I could easily copy and convert my site and then transfer web hosts. Do you know why I can't copy my jpeg image files on my hard drive to FP? FP wiil not recognize the files yet they are Adobe Photoshop optimized jpegs. Any help is appreciated, thanks, Chris Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
|
| > Use a 3rd Party FTP application, open the site and then download all of the content to a folder on
| > your HD, then open the folder in FP.
| >
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| >
| > | > > Thanks JP, I have already tried this but FP repeatedly says I need to verify the location and try
| > again. I have tried it with all the file systems listed on the web download wizard, but the http
| > system is the only one that worked yet many files weren't found. I am not quite sure how to transfer
| > with FTP or if it would work with a Homestead built site. Could you explain the process? Do you know
| > what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Chris
| > >
| > > "JPKarlsen [FP MVP]" wrote:
| > >
| > > > Use File | Import and select File System if the files are local or FTP if on a remote server.
| > Using http doesn't guarantee that all files gets found. Make sure to preserve the folder structure.
| > > >
| > > >
| > > > Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
| > > >
| > > >
| > > >
| > nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.frontpage.client/<[email protected]>
| > > >
| > > > I recently installed FP '03 and have tried to copy and convert my current site (built on
| > Homestead's sitebuilder) and my jpeg image files (optimized in Photoshop). I tried to download my
| > site from a copy on disc, but FP dispayed an error message saying it doesn't recognize the files. I
| > tried to download my site from the web and only some of my pages and files were downloaded and when
| > viewed they were a mess, with text navigation missalignment and X's in the image areas. I tried to
| > copy my site's page and image files saved on my hard drive, but FP would not do it, again displaying
| > the error message. I know my image files are jpegs and my page files are html, so why won't FP
| > recognize and copy them?
| > > >
| > > > [microsoft.public.frontpage.client]
| > > >
| >
| >
| >

G

Dear Redwine,
Can you explain again the process in which you got your files off of Homestead and in to FTP? I am attempting to do the same and am having great difficulty. Any help you could provide would be wonderful.
Thanks,
Rex

Thanks said:

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

:

Use File | Import and select File System if the files are local or FTP if on a remote server.
I recently installed FP '03 and have tried to copy and convert my current site (built on
recognize and copy them?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Use a 3rd Party FTP application, open the site and then download all of the content to a folder
on
--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Rex said:
Dear Redwine,
Can you explain again the process in which you got your files off of Homestead and in to FTP? I
am attempting to do the same and am having great difficulty. Any help you could provide would be
wonderful.
Thanks,
Rex
address and root directory to do this? I'm still not exactly sure what these are and how to acess
them if needed. I would ask Homestead, but have found that their support is usually slow (4 or five
days) and useless. I bought FP '03 hoping that I could easily copy and convert my site and then
transfer web hosts. Do you know why I can't copy my jpeg image files on my hard drive to FP? FP wiil
not recognize the files yet they are Adobe Photoshop optimized jpegs. Any help is appreciated,
thanks, Chris
Thomas said:

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

:

Use File | Import and select File System if the files are local or FTP if on a remote server.

recognize and copy them?

Ask a Question