Form Update

Ken

I am wondering if there is a method than can be called when updating several
controls on a form so the form does not repaint when each control is
updated. For example if there are 5 text boxes on the form and all of them
have to be updated I believe the form paints each time the Text property of
each textbox is changed.

I coded in PowerBuilder several years ago and they had a method that you
called before updating serveral controls on a form and then called another
method that repainted the form after you completed updating all the
controls.

Thank You in advance

Ken

Ying-Shen Yu[MSFT]

Hi Ken,
I'm not clear about the mechanism of PowerBuilder, but In Windows Forms,
updating an textbox on the form will not force the fom repaint. You can
verify this by overriding the OnPaint method of your form and adding a
label to show the repaint times.
If you still have questions on this issue, please let me know!
Thanks!

Best regards,

Ying-Shen Yu [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Partner Support

You should not reply this mail directly, "Online" should be removed before
sending, Thanks!

| I am wondering if there is a method than can be called when updating
several
| controls on a form so the form does not repaint when each control is
| updated. For example if there are 5 text boxes on the form and all of
them
| have to be updated I believe the form paints each time the Text property
of
| each textbox is changed.
|
| I coded in PowerBuilder several years ago and they had a method that you
| called before updating serveral controls on a form and then called another
| method that repainted the form after you completed updating all the
| controls.
|
| Thank You in advance
|
| Ken

Ken

If I understand you correctly, then what happens is that the control that is
being updated is the only thing that is repainted, not the whole form?

Thank You

Ken

Ying-Shen Yu said:
Hi Ken,
I'm not clear about the mechanism of PowerBuilder, but In Windows Forms,
updating an textbox on the form will not force the fom repaint. You can
verify this by overriding the OnPaint method of your form and adding a
label to show the repaint times.
If you still have questions on this issue, please let me know!
Thanks!

Best regards,

Ying-Shen Yu [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Partner Support

You should not reply this mail directly, "Online" should be removed before
sending, Thanks!

| I am wondering if there is a method than can be called when updating
several
| controls on a form so the form does not repaint when each control is
| updated. For example if there are 5 text boxes on the form and all of
them
| have to be updated I believe the form paints each time the Text property
of
| each textbox is changed.
|
| I coded in PowerBuilder several years ago and they had a method that you
| called before updating serveral controls on a form and then called another
| method that repainted the form after you completed updating all the
| controls.
|
| Thank You in advance
|
| Ken

Ying-Shen Yu[MSFT]

Hi Ken,
Yes, strictly speaking, it's the default behavior in native win32
platform and also windows forms. Ofcourse, it may be changed by various
implementations of the paint event handler.

Best regards,

Ying-Shen Yu [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Partner Support

You should not reply this mail directly, "Online" should be removed before
sending, Thanks!

| If I understand you correctly, then what happens is that the control that
is
| being updated is the only thing that is repainted, not the whole form?
|
| Thank You
|
| Ken
|
| | > Hi Ken,
| > I'm not clear about the mechanism of PowerBuilder, but In Windows
| Forms,
| > updating an textbox on the form will not force the fom repaint. You can
| > verify this by overriding the OnPaint method of your form and adding a
| > label to show the repaint times.
| > If you still have questions on this issue, please let me know!
| > Thanks!
| >
| > Best regards,
| >
| > Ying-Shen Yu [MSFT]
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.
| > You should not reply this mail directly, "Online" should be removed
before
| > sending, Thanks!

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

e.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!in.100proofnews.com!tds

net-transit!newspeer.tds.net!sn-xit-02!sn-xit-06!sn-post-01!supernews.com!co
| > rp.supernews.com!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | I am wondering if there is a method than can be called when updating
| > several
| > | controls on a form so the form does not repaint when each control is
| > | updated. For example if there are 5 text boxes on the form and all of
| > them
| > | have to be updated I believe the form paints each time the Text
property
| > of
| > | each textbox is changed.
| > |
| > | I coded in PowerBuilder several years ago and they had a method that
you
| > | called before updating serveral controls on a form and then called
| another
| > | method that repainted the form after you completed updating all the
| > | controls.
| > |
| > | Thank You in advance
| > |
| > | Ken
| > |
| > |
| > |

Ken

Thank you.

I believe PowerBuilder was doing something behind the scenes which causes
the behavior I was discussing.

Ken

Ying-Shen Yu said:
Hi Ken,
Yes, strictly speaking, it's the default behavior in native win32
platform and also windows forms. Ofcourse, it may be changed by various
implementations of the paint event handler.

Best regards,

Ying-Shen Yu [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Partner Support

You should not reply this mail directly, "Online" should be removed before
sending, Thanks!

| If I understand you correctly, then what happens is that the control that
is
| being updated is the only thing that is repainted, not the whole form?
|
| Thank You
|
| Ken
|
| | > Hi Ken,
| > I'm not clear about the mechanism of PowerBuilder, but In Windows
| Forms,
| > updating an textbox on the form will not force the fom repaint. You can
| > verify this by overriding the OnPaint method of your form and adding a
| > label to show the repaint times.
| > If you still have questions on this issue, please let me know!
| > Thanks!
| >
| > Best regards,
| >
| > Ying-Shen Yu [MSFT]
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.
| > You should not reply this mail directly, "Online" should be removed
before
| > sending, Thanks!

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

e.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!in.100proofnews.com!tds

net-transit!newspeer.tds.net!sn-xit-02!sn-xit-06!sn-post-01!supernews.com!co
| > rp.supernews.com!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | I am wondering if there is a method than can be called when updating
| > several
| > | controls on a form so the form does not repaint when each control is
| > | updated. For example if there are 5 text boxes on the form and all of
| > them
| > | have to be updated I believe the form paints each time the Text
property
| > of
| > | each textbox is changed.
| > |
| > | I coded in PowerBuilder several years ago and they had a method that
you
| > | called before updating serveral controls on a form and then called
| another
| > | method that repainted the form after you completed updating all the
| > | controls.
| > |
| > | Thank You in advance
| > |