Form Inheritance

James

Hi All,

I want to have a Base Form class that will allow me to
provide a template for all forms within my application.
Namely functional inheritance rather than GUI.

I created a class and derived my new form from it but it
will not display in the Designer.

I started using the following but there must be a better
way to do it!!!

#if DESIGN
public class frmLogin : System.Windows.Forms.Form
#else
public class frmLogin : MyApp.Framework.MFMForm
#endif

Can someone tell me how to use Form Inheritance in the
Compact Framework.

Thanks,
James.

Floris Briolas

Hi James
Can someone tell me how to use Form Inheritance in the
Compact Framework.

yup, that's sounds just like I was doing it.. anyway, inherited forms are
not supported in the designer but you can do it in code. But you already
figured this out...

regards

Floris Briolas

David So [MSFT]

This way you're doing now is correct, the designer in VS 2003 doesn't
support inherited forms and it will be supported in the coming version of
VS.

David
| From: "James" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "James" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Form Inheritance
| Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:09:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hi All,
|
| I want to have a Base Form class that will allow me to
| provide a template for all forms within my application.
| Namely functional inheritance rather than GUI.
|
| I created a class and derived my new form from it but it
| will not display in the Designer.
|
| I started using the following but there must be a better
| way to do it!!!
|
| #if DESIGN
| public class frmLogin : System.Windows.Forms.Form
| #else
| public class frmLogin : MyApp.Framework.MFMForm
| #endif
|
| Can someone tell me how to use Form Inheritance in the
| Compact Framework.
|
| Thanks,
| James.

Paul

Out of interest, when you say 'the coming version of VS' does that mean
people have to upgrade to VS2004 (or what ever it's called)?

David So [MSFT]

The next version of VS would support Form Inheritance. This is a new
feature for Device development. User who wants to use this feature would
need to upgrade to this version.

Thanks,

David

| From: Paul <Paul@Don'tChuffingSpamMe.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| Subject: Re: Form Inheritance
| Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:33:30 +0100
|
| Out of interest, when you say 'the coming version of VS' does that mean
| people have to upgrade to VS2004 (or what ever it's called)?
|
| David So [MSFT] wrote:
| > This way you're doing now is correct, the designer in VS 2003 doesn't
| > support inherited forms and it will be supported in the coming version
of
| > VS.
| >
| > David
rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "James" <[email protected]>
| > | Sender: "James" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Form Inheritance
| > | Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:09:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > |
| > | Hi All,
| > |
| > | I want to have a Base Form class that will allow me to
| > | provide a template for all forms within my application.
| > | Namely functional inheritance rather than GUI.
| > |
| > | I created a class and derived my new form from it but it
| > | will not display in the Designer.
| > |
| > | I started using the following but there must be a better
| > | way to do it!!!
| > |
| > | #if DESIGN
| > | public class frmLogin : System.Windows.Forms.Form
| > | #else
| > | public class frmLogin : MyApp.Framework.MFMForm
| > | #endif
| > |
| > | Can someone tell me how to use Form Inheritance in the
| > | Compact Framework.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | James.
| > |

Paul

Joy - leave something out that everyone wants, and then charge to put it
in...

The next version of VS would support Form Inheritance. This is a new
feature for Device development. User who wants to use this feature would
need to upgrade to this version.

Thanks,

David

| From: Paul <Paul@Don'tChuffingSpamMe.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| Subject: Re: Form Inheritance
| Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:33:30 +0100
|
| Out of interest, when you say 'the coming version of VS' does that mean
| people have to upgrade to VS2004 (or what ever it's called)?
|
| David So [MSFT] wrote:
| > This way you're doing now is correct, the designer in VS 2003 doesn't
| > support inherited forms and it will be supported in the coming version
of
| > VS.
| >
| > David
rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "James" <[email protected]>
| > | Sender: "James" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Form Inheritance
| > | Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:09:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > |
| > | Hi All,
| > |
| > | I want to have a Base Form class that will allow me to
| > | provide a template for all forms within my application.
| > | Namely functional inheritance rather than GUI.
| > |
| > | I created a class and derived my new form from it but it
| > | will not display in the Designer.
| > |
| > | I started using the following but there must be a better
| > | way to do it!!!
| > |
| > | #if DESIGN
| > | public class frmLogin : System.Windows.Forms.Form
| > | #else
| > | public class frmLogin : MyApp.Framework.MFMForm
| > | #endif
| > |
| > | Can someone tell me how to use Form Inheritance in the
| > | Compact Framework.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | James.