Foreign Language Spell Checkers

saturnin02

Win XP HE, Word/OL 2002

Follow-up microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar

Hi,

Does anyone know where to get free spell checkers for languages such as
Italian that would automatically be integrated with Word and OL? Tx,

saturnin02

Chuck, thanks but I said FREE in my post.
I need a free tool not a tool that sells for over $100, most of which I have
no use for. I only have use for Italian.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

If you want the tool, pay for the tool or find another free almost as good
as replacement.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the
(insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account
will be deleted without reading.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/language/proofingtools.msp

| >> Follow-up microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar
| >>
| >> Hi,
| >>
| >> Does anyone know where to get free spell checkers for languages such as
| >> Italian that would automatically be integrated with Word and OL? Tx,

Otto

This sort of discussion underscores what's wrong with Microsoft (and others)
pricing policies, indirectly supporting illegal activities.
Having paid a premium price for Office 2003 and using it at 98% of the time
with only English, it is ridiculous to have to purchase an entire CD for
dozens of languages one would never, ever use. Microsoft is making life
easier for itself by bundling them all together, for it figures companies
would buy it regardless. To hell with individual, occasional user, who only
needs one or two languages for occasional use.
Then they turn around and complain about illegal market and how many sales
they are loosing. I too have a need for a second language, but I would never
pay Microsoft for the CD at that price. Instead, I found a legal, I think,
way around it. But I would not at all loose any sleep over using an
"illegal" copy, if I found one. Some may call it cheating, but I don't,
because of the greedy pricing policy of Microsoft. I use quite a number of
shareware programs valued between $20-$100 for which I gladly paid for,
because it provided good value for the money. Couple of files (dictionary &
thesaurus) for a language are worth about $10-$20. At that price Microsoft
would sell hundreds of them and make many customers happy. Their present
practice indicate that is not their desire.

Otto

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

So, if you need a drafting/modeling software but AutoCad is too expensive,
based on your personal experience in programming this software, you feel
entitled to pirate it because the AutoCad folks are just too greedy and want
money for their efforts.

Makes perfect sense to me. Plonk.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Otto asked:

| This sort of discussion underscores what's wrong with Microsoft (and
| others) pricing policies, indirectly supporting illegal activities.
| Having paid a premium price for Office 2003 and using it at 98% of
| the time with only English, it is ridiculous to have to purchase an
| entire CD for dozens of languages one would never, ever use.
| Microsoft is making life easier for itself by bundling them all
| together, for it figures companies would buy it regardless. To hell
| with individual, occasional user, who only needs one or two languages
| for occasional use.
| Then they turn around and complain about illegal market and how many
| sales they are loosing. I too have a need for a second language, but
| I would never pay Microsoft for the CD at that price. Instead, I
| found a legal, I think, way around it. But I would not at all loose
| any sleep over using an "illegal" copy, if I found one. Some may call
| it cheating, but I don't, because of the greedy pricing policy of
| Microsoft. I use quite a number of shareware programs valued between
| $20-$100 for which I gladly paid for, because it provided good value
| for the money. Couple of files (dictionary & thesaurus) for a
| language are worth about $10-$20. At that price Microsoft would sell
| hundreds of them and make many customers happy. Their present
| practice indicate that is not their desire.
|
| Otto
|

| || Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
||| If you want the tool, pay for the tool or find another free almost
||| as good as replacement.
|| And it was the latter he was trying.
|| --
|| Brian Tillman

Otto

And if I needed a car I would go and steal it, you also could have said.
Please come down from your high horse. You convenietly disregarded the
mention of purchase of Office. The point was about a minor, single purpose,
add-on, and not the whole bunch of them, which are totally useless to the
user.
You seem to agree that a user should be forced to buy the whole CD for the
use of couple of files. Too bad.

Otto

Milly Staples said:
So, if you need a drafting/modeling software but AutoCad is too expensive,
based on your personal experience in programming this software, you feel
entitled to pirate it because the AutoCad folks are just too greedy and
want
money for their efforts.

Makes perfect sense to me. Plonk.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Otto asked:

| This sort of discussion underscores what's wrong with Microsoft (and
| others) pricing policies, indirectly supporting illegal activities.
| Having paid a premium price for Office 2003 and using it at 98% of
| the time with only English, it is ridiculous to have to purchase an
| entire CD for dozens of languages one would never, ever use.
| Microsoft is making life easier for itself by bundling them all
| together, for it figures companies would buy it regardless. To hell
| with individual, occasional user, who only needs one or two languages
| for occasional use.
| Then they turn around and complain about illegal market and how many
| sales they are loosing. I too have a need for a second language, but
| I would never pay Microsoft for the CD at that price. Instead, I
| found a legal, I think, way around it. But I would not at all loose
| any sleep over using an "illegal" copy, if I found one. Some may call
| it cheating, but I don't, because of the greedy pricing policy of
| Microsoft. I use quite a number of shareware programs valued between
| $20-$100 for which I gladly paid for, because it provided good value
| for the money. Couple of files (dictionary & thesaurus) for a
| language are worth about $10-$20. At that price Microsoft would sell
| hundreds of them and make many customers happy. Their present
| practice indicate that is not their desire.
|
| Otto
|

| || Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
||| If you want the tool, pay for the tool or find another free almost
||| as good as replacement.
|| And it was the latter he was trying.
|| --
|| Brian Tillman

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

High horse = honest user... I think I will stay in that saddle, thank you.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Otto asked:

| And if I needed a car I would go and steal it, you also could have
| said. Please come down from your high horse. You convenietly
| disregarded the mention of purchase of Office. The point was about a
| minor, single purpose, add-on, and not the whole bunch of them, which
| are totally useless to the user.
| You seem to agree that a user should be forced to buy the whole CD
| for the use of couple of files. Too bad.
|
| Otto
|

| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| || So, if you need a drafting/modeling software but AutoCad is too
|| expensive, based on your personal experience in programming this
|| software, you feel entitled to pirate it because the AutoCad folks
|| are just too greedy and want
|| money for their efforts.
|| Makes perfect sense to me. Plonk.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After furious head scratching, Otto asked:
||| This sort of discussion underscores what's wrong with Microsoft (and
||| others) pricing policies, indirectly supporting illegal activities.
||| Having paid a premium price for Office 2003 and using it at 98% of
||| the time with only English, it is ridiculous to have to purchase an
||| entire CD for dozens of languages one would never, ever use.
||| Microsoft is making life easier for itself by bundling them all
||| together, for it figures companies would buy it regardless. To hell
||| with individual, occasional user, who only needs one or two
||| languages for occasional use.
||| Then they turn around and complain about illegal market and how many
||| sales they are loosing. I too have a need for a second language, but
||| I would never pay Microsoft for the CD at that price. Instead, I
||| found a legal, I think, way around it. But I would not at all loose
||| any sleep over using an "illegal" copy, if I found one. Some may
||| call it cheating, but I don't, because of the greedy pricing policy
||| of Microsoft. I use quite a number of shareware programs valued
||| between $20-$100 for which I gladly paid for, because it provided
||| good value for the money. Couple of files (dictionary & thesaurus)
||| for a language are worth about $10-$20. At that price Microsoft
||| would sell hundreds of them and make many customers happy. Their
||| present practice indicate that is not their desire.
||| Otto

Brian Tillman

Otto said:
Microsoft is making life easier for itself by bundling them all
together, for it figures companies would buy it regardless. To hell
with individual, occasional user, who only needs one or two languages
for occasional use.

And that is an excellent business model. Concentrate your efforts in that
segment of the market where expenses can be minimized and profits maximized.
There's hardly a successful business in the world that doesn't work that
way.

Brian Tillman

Otto said:
You seem to agree that a user should be forced to buy the whole CD
for the use of couple of files. Too bad.

In the U.S. here, that's how state income tax programs often work. You buy
a CD that contains all the state forms, install the software and, in the
process, select the state in which you're interested. If you wish to
install another set of state tax forms, you pay again, but use the same CD.
Of course, it doesn't cost hundreds, only tens of dollars.

saturnin02

Otto,
I agree with the pricing issue completely.
Can u refer me to some freeware for a second language? You said you had
found a way around it.
You can contact me via email if you'd like.

Brian Tillman said:
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
If you want the tool, pay for the tool or find another free almost as
good as replacement.

And it was the latter he was trying.

saturnin02

I disagree that it is an excellent busines model.
It also creates animosity within an existing client base that will look for
the 1st opportunity to leave.
It you understand economics (and I'm sure you do) it really is a business
model based on M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Otto,
Having paid a premium price for Office 2003 and using it at 98% of the time
with only English, it is ridiculous to have to purchase an entire CD for
dozens of languages one would never, ever use. Microsoft is making life
easier for itself by bundling them all together,
FWIW, I remember the policy prior to Word (Office) 2000, the first version all
the languages are on one CD.
- You got only one language (or your local + English)
- Each additional language had to be purchased, separately
- Each additional language cost more than the entire CD does, today

Personally, I prefer what we have now to that...

FWIW, a *lot* of work goes into a proofing tool. So many man-hours cost money.
Microsoft isn't about to lose money, otherwise it wouldn't be in business. If a
proofing tool is free, chances are that's the quality you're getting...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

I've often thought the selection of languages you do get proofing tools for
annoyingly arbitrary. For instance, if you buy the English version you get
Spanish and French proofing tools whether you need them or not.

Maybe in a future release when they've refined product activation and
similar you'll be able to have your local language and one or two others of
your choice for free. These could be present on the Office DVD but require to
be 'unlocked', or since fast internet connections are now presumed to be the
norm (correctly or not) a download on demand feature, paying a proportionate
fee per additional language, wouldn't be implausible.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?Qk1D?=,

I agree, that would be a useful way to have it work :)
Maybe in a future release when they've refined product activation and
similar you'll be able to have your local language and one or two others of
your choice for free. These could be present on the Office DVD but require to
be 'unlocked', or since fast internet connections are now presumed to be the
norm (correctly or not) a download on demand feature, paying a proportionate
fee per additional language, wouldn't be implausible.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

Mike Williams

Over 90% of the tools on that CD are licensed from other companies
(mainly in Europe). The companies that produce these proofing tools
individually charge more for single elements of their packages (e.g.
spelling or grammar or thesaurus) than Microsoft charges for all
languages and all the tools (which includes speech and handwriting and
otehr tools) on the entire CD.

Michael \(michka\) Kaplan [MS]

Mike Williams said:
Over 90% of the tools on that CD are licensed from other companies
(mainly in Europe). The companies that produce these proofing tools
individually charge more for single elements of their packages (e.g.
spelling or grammar or thesaurus) than Microsoft charges for all
languages and all the tools (which includes speech and handwriting and
otehr tools) on the entire CD.

Note that this allows Microsoft to push out all new languages without
"punishing" smaller ones for their small size. Its like the US Senate --
every state, no matter what its size, gets the same number of seats at the
table. So while it is easy to take the cheap shot and talk about evil
Microsoft, it is probably more appropriate to be glad that the people
involved here are not a bunch of greedy bastards with $$$ in their eye,
trying to bilk small language communities....

--
MichKa [Microsoft]
NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Technical Lead

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.