Force feedback2 for standard users on W2KPro

Franck Cazaurang

In administrator profiel, the force feedback 2 work
correctly with sidewinder. In standard user profile the
sidewinder does'nt work at all, because Joystick control
panel is empty and I can't add nothing in standard user
profile.
If I use the command Runas (Maj+click Right) on control
pannel and I use administrator profile then Microsoft
SideWinder Force Feedback 2 is OK. How can I do to obtain
the same think in standard user profile?

Thanks

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

This was a limitation in Windows 2000 that was fixed in Windows XP. The
problem is that the registry keys in Windows 2000 for joystick information
was in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, this was for legacy compatibility for Win9x. In
Windows XP this information was moved to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, where
limited users have permission to write, and work was done to redirect
registry calls to the correct location for legacy apps.

Please, could you tell me
the list of the registery keys for joystick information
how to move the registery keys for joystick information
in HKEY_CURRENT_USER
And if I do that, do you think that it will be
run in standard profile.

I'm working in a classroom with 10 PC and a sever machine,
and I haven't the budjet to make the update from 2K to XP.
This configuration will be used to make aeronautical
formation with flightsimulator 2000. I can't give to all
my student the super user pathword...

Thanks

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

This won't work for Windows 2000 because it doesn't have the Limited user
fix that Windows XP has. In your case you should be able to install the
joystick and calibrate them as an Administrator. Then when someone logs in
on an account without Adim rights they will use the data set by the admin
account that set up the device. They won't be able to calibrate the device,
but it should work fine. The v4.0 keymapping software however willl not run.
Let me know if you have any problems or if you want more detail into what
the change in Windows XP was.

Just FYI the joystick data for Windows 2000 was kepy mostly in the following
two places. There are many other places depending on device, but these
locations contain most of the data. Calibration, Device name, etc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\Joystick

Joshua Smith
DirectInput Test Lab
Microsoft
-----